Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Med. to go with a Large Egg??

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to get another egg to compliment the large that I currently have. As some of you know one egg sometimes simply does not cut it. I think I have my wife convinced that another egg is needed, so my choices are a Medium or a Small to go with my large egg. The problem that I see is do I get a small or a medium? I know that after all the begging and pleading that I have done to get a second egg any suggestions for a third will fall on deaf ears. I cook a lot of butts, briskets and ribs and I want the second for hor’derves, side dishes, bread making or additional ribs, butt or brisket if needed. Also enyone know what the delta in price will be between the medium and the small?[p]Thanks,
John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I have a large, 2 smalls and a mini....never used a medium..but I feel the combination of a large and small together is as good as it can get, the small is a steak cooking machine and can be setup for indirect aslo, I have several setups on my website showing the small cooking indirect...others will chime in also..HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I'll have to agree with WessB. The small is a great companion to the large. I have a large, small and mini and love the small! Chubby (an egger on the forum) makes GrateMates (info at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/snoobeez/GrateMatesE-Flyer.jpg) and they are a great addition to the small.[p]Smokey

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I'm happy with my small and large. Of course, I also have an old clay large that also occasionally gets fired up so maybe you should get an XL and secretly buy a small to hide inside the XL!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    for me a large and small works out well, the small is big enough for smaller meals and some sides. if i cooked for larger crowds or had a big family, i would buy a second large over the medium. i bought the small to add a little cooking space, do the small meals when im home alone, and maybe to bring on fishing trips. after owning it for about 5 months, i would bring the large with me for trips as the small wouldnt cut it for my needs. the beauty of the small is how little it consumes lump for the smaller meals.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I've got them all...mini, small, medium and large. One of the biggest reasons to go with a small would be portability. That's why we got ours. It gave us a second cooker for sides, bread, appetizers, etc., but it also does double duty as our egg when we're camping.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Inna Avrelina
    Options
    I have to go along with the above comments. I just bought a small about three weeks ago. Now we do not know how we got along without the small. For two people it is perfect. [p]On the other hand if you can only have one egg, the large is the way to go.
  • OctoberGlory
    Options
    You made the right choice. I started with a Large, bought a Medium, sold the Medium and then added a Small. Now I've got a great combination with the Large and the Small that meets our needs. Enjoy.

OctoberGlory
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Does the fragile flower know that what you have is a large? If not, then you could tell her that you were wrong and what you have is a medium, then you can tell her that you need a large and get an XL.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Charles in SC,[p]I actually laughed out loud when I read this, you devious genius you...[p]