Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket question

I had a quick question for all out there that have replaced a gasket. I remember a while back someone using a rough disk to clean the remains of their gasket off. Please see the picture below and let me know if this is what was used. I picked it up this morning but it seems very stiff. Just don't want to mess up the grill using something that is too abrasive. Thanks

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Take a look at the Rutland Gsket replacement write up by naked Whiz http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

He recommends the 3M paint stripper disc.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    I used my oscillating tool with 80 grit sandpaper and then cleaned it off with some alcohol.  I haven't had an issue.  Don't over think it. 

LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I used nothing but a pumice stone and got it cleaned.  Worked like a charm. 

One trick I did though is I used an old shipping tape dispenser to spread the permatex once I put a bead on the Egg.  The metal grooves that you would normally use to cut the tape worked perfectly as a tiny trough to spread the glue around.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That'll work fine.  Sandpaper also works.  I've done it both ways.  Heat up the egg and bulk remove the majority of gasket with a putty knife first.  As a last step, try to degrease the gasket surface with some rubbing alcohol or acetone.
    All of the old gasket was scraped off last week after a pizza cook. There is very little gasket left. I just want to get it very clean as I am going to replace it with the free gasket from BGE. Next time it goes I will use the Rutland method. Thanks to every one for their input.
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    I replaced with the free and it looks like it is going to hold up for some time.  I have done two pizza cooks and it still looks brand new.  It is much better than the old felt gasket. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN