Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Test drive baking steel - Pizza FAIL

Buddy of mine cut out a 16" disk of 1/4" steel plate.  I dressed it and seasoned.  It was FREE!

Put it on the LBGE, some neighbors came over for a beer and I kinda forgot about it so it was at 700.  Not usually a problem with a stone and Tipo 00 dough.  But the thermal conductivity of steel is much higher than a stone.

The first pizza was quickly reduced to a carbon briquette on the bottom. 

I reduced the heat to around 500 and cooled the steel down with some paper towels soaked in water.

Second pizza was absolutely perfectly cooked.

For some reason I can't upload the pics.....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Looks good... Make your own dough?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2013
    @henapple - yeah, that was the last of my Caputo Tipo 00 red flour...I just got a new shipment in today.  Been talking to cazzy offline and he recommended buying the 55 pound sack and a gamma storage bin to store it.

I'm lazy...I just mix it up in a KA 65% hydration.  Salt, flour, yeast and water

Gets better if you let it sit in fridge...that dough was 2 weeks old.
    See now if you had participated in the group buy of the real, true baking steel your pie would have come out perfect.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Maybe if I wasn't drinking at the time....  ;)

My plate is that cor-ten stuff.  Don't know if it helps with the rust or not, but the surface is harder than what I expected.  It took a seasoning well...used fish oil tablets.
    Maybe if I wasn't drinking at the time....  ;)

Story of my life brother

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    still using your sliding pizza peel? If so, how's it holding up?
  • nolaegghead
    brycos said:
    still using your sliding pizza peel? If so, how's it holding up?
    That's all I use.  It's holding up great - looks like new.  I've washed the canvas belt a few times and it shrunk a bit, but still works like a champ - thanks for asking.

I saturated the whole peel in epoxy - should last for ever.
    @nola-if I read your post right you are batting .500.  That's hardly a fail in baseball-would get you into the Hall Of Fame.  And it sounds like your average is only gonna go up if the alcohol induced blurred vision doesn't interfere :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    lousubcap said:
    @nola-if I read your post right you are batting .500.  That's hardly a fail in baseball-would get you into the Hall Of Fame.  And it sounds like your average is only gonna go up if the alcohol induced blurred vision doesn't interfere :)
    hahah  Yeah, I don't feel too bad about it.  I only used a baking steel once before for pizza and that was in my oven, which maxes out at 550F.  That square steel doesn't fit on my egg, and like I said, the stone doesn't have that effect at 700.
    Steel seems to work better in the 500-600°F range, but tipo 00 flour may not play well at those temps from what I have heard from others. I tried making naans on steel some time ago and the ones done at 550° or so turned out better (i.e. not burned) vs. higher temp ones.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    caliking said:
    Steel seems to work better in the 500-600°F range, but tipo 00 flour may not play well at those temps from what I have heard from others. I tried making naans on steel some time ago and the ones done at 550° or so turned out better (i.e. not burned) vs. higher temp ones.
    I agree.  Naans sound like a fun thing to try next...that or maybe bruschetta.

Holla - 7000th post right here right now.