Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
Anybody try it? I used about a tablespoon on a butterfly shrimp this weekend. Ouch!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Where did you buy it?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just noticed in a supermarket I don't go to often.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I like hot, but man no way in hell I am trying a ghost pepper(s). I had a bad prank played on me in college with habaneros and it left me a little skeered.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I made some ghost pepper sauce last weekend. Needs a little tweaking but was good and HOT!! The last page or so is the actual sauce

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153319/bhut-jolokia-ghost-peppers#latest

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited July 2013

XLBGE 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013
    Mucho Burrito had a ghost pepper sauce for their burritos sometime last year. I had it on a fish burrito and thought it was very good. It definitely added a kick! I believe that they sell the sauce in their stores.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I got it at Sobeys and the Trinidad scorpion one as well but there is no way I'm touching that. In younger days maybe but not now for sure. They were only $8.95 each which is pretty cheap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Well, I guess that begs the question... why did you buy it then?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I collect hot sauces. I have over 1200 different bottles. Had no intention of opening these either but my son had friends over and saw it. Wife was making M&M appetisers for them and they got jocular about it. I said g'head, open it. They seemed to be alright and I poured a bunch on one butterflied shrimp. I learned that they had just been putting a toothpick's worth on theirs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    edited July 2013
    Sounds like quite a collection. I had a 1/2 dozen or so of the little Tabasco sauce bottles from my flying days. The liquid eventually evaporated out of those. Do you have evaporation issues with any of your bottles. What about separation (or do you care about that)?

By the way, there's a hot sauce place at the LA Farmer's Market (can't remember the name)... not sure if you've ever been there or not?
    edited July 2013
    Here it is. Called "Light My Fire"
    edited July 2013

They have been in boxes since we moved to this house six years ago. They weren't removed from the house either so some may have frozen but I doubt that. Some separate but I just like the look and labels. Some can be fairly humourous.

I should say that they have all been in boxes since we moved but the hundred or so I have acquired in the last six years are in my pantry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds like quite a collection. I had a 1/2 dozen or so of the little Tabasco sauce bottles from my flying days. The liquid eventually evaporated out of those. Do you have evaporation issues with any of your bottles. What about separation (or do you care about that)?

By the way, there's a hot sauce place at the LA Farmer's Market (can't remember the name)... not sure if you've ever been there or not?
    You would be surprised to see the number of hot sauce stores there are. I've been to one in LA but it was in a mall and huge. There is a huge one in Phoenix or Scottsdale. I was at one in Miami and one in Atlanta too.There is one in Burlington, ON as well but it's not very big and I had pretty much everything they carried. My favourite place to buy is The French Quarter market in NOLA. There are dozens of online stores too. Great way to waste a little time during the day.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Except for that ghost pepper sauce from Melinda's that I have, I can pretty much handle as much heat as the sauce adds in salt.    Hot is a relative term.
    Yes and it is an inaccurate one also

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Dave's Insanity Sauce is pretty...Insane
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    A lot of hot sauces are just heat nd no flavor. I made some with Scorpions and I have to use very sparingly
  • nolaegghead
    I enjoy the taste of habaneros the best.
    @nolaegghead

Your amazing. Got something coming your way

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love all kinds of hot sauce. It is my number #1 condiment. I use it without regard to the safety of others who may use the bathroom after me.
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead Your amazing. Got something coming your way
    Cool, appreciate it!  Love me some hot sauce. It didn't take long to make, maybe 30 minutes - it's a fire poker - 3/8 steel rod about 18" long with a right angle hook on the end to stoke the lump and clear ash. 

My neighbor moved out and left behind a huge amount of driftwood that I guess she carved into walking sticks or something.  So I snagged a bunch of it for tool handles.  It was pre-carved for me.  I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow or next Monday at the latest.
    No wonder it burns on the back end.  We have taste receptors all over including our ass.

http://www.businessinsider.com/taste-receptors-in-testes-and-fertility-2013-7

:((
    No wonder it burns on the back end.  We have taste receptors all over including our ass.

http://www.businessinsider.com/taste-receptors-in-testes-and-fertility-2013-7

:((
    And here I thought that we only enjoyed the smell of our own ****. Thank you for enlightenment, good sir!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    thetrim said:
    Dave's Insanity Sauce is pretty...Insane
    That's where I drew the line.  I put three very small drops on a breakfast burrito; never got to the second drop.
    I can only assume Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce is worse.  Serranos are as far as I need to go.

There's two guys who have a show on one of the cooking channels, where they're constantly accepting either HOT or LARGE eating challenges; they rarely win and are also in very great pain by the end of the show.
    I'm curious to see if they die early, or live to 130... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure