Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cook - looking for guidance

kjed
kjed Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a big cook (for me) coming up, and I’m looking for some advice.[p]I will be cooking a 4.5 lb brisket flat, and a 7.6 lb Boston butt (bone-in). Dinner will be served at around 6:30 pm on Thursday night, so I was wondering how long I should expect the cook to take, if I plan on maintaining a temp of around 235?[p]Also, I’m looking for some suggestions on preparation and cooking techniques as well. I’ve only done one brisket; I tried the technique on the Dizzy Pig website, and my results were a good brisket, but maybe just a little more dry than I would have preferred. I was going to try Dr. BBQ’s Championship Brisket technique, but that is for a whole brisket, and I’m cooking just the flat. Can I adjust the technique for just the flat? Would anyone recommend wrapping in foil at any time during the cook?[p]I haven’t even mentioned the Boston butt! I’ve made several of these, different technique each time, and I’ve always been pleased. I have never done a butt and a brisket together, though. I know many of you have; are there any things to consider when doing both together?[p]Sorry for so many questions, I’m just trying to mitigate any bad luck that could come with this cook.[p]Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    kjed,[p]Well, a 4.5 lb flat barely qualifies as a brisket. IMO you'll have to wrap it or it will be dry. Look at those other recipes in my book, where a flat is used.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    kjed,
    The following comes from Smoke and Spice. While I haven't cooked this recipe yet I have done several from the cookbook and have gotten good reviews on all of them.[p]Yield: 6 servings
    4 lb Fully trimmed Brisket section (sometimes called
    2 tb Hickory-flavored salt
    2 tb Brown sugar
    2 tb Paprika
    2 tb Dallas Dandy Rub (see above) or Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express :-) My favorite on brisket
    12 oz Beer
    1 md Onion; chopped
    ½ c Cider or white vinegar
    ¼ c Oil (corn or canola) the Flat Cut)
    2 tb Chili powder
    2 tb Ground black pepper
    2 ea Canned chipotle chiles plus
    2 tb Adobo sauce
    2 tb Liquid smoke
    SAUCE:
    Your favorite Barbecue Sauce [p]DALLAS DANDY RUB DALLAS DANDY MARINADE "The night before you plan to barbecue, stir together the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons of the rub with the other marinade ingredients in a blender and puree. Place the brisket in a plastic bag and pour the marinade over it. Refrigerate the brisket overnight. Before you begin to barbecue, take the brisket from the refrigerator. Drain and discard the marinade. Pat the brisket down with all but 2 tbsps of the remaining rub, coating the slab well. Let the brisket sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes. Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature up to 200 to 220 degrees F. Transfer the brisket to the smoker and cook for 3 hours. Place the meat on a sheet of heavy-duty foil, sprinkle it with the rest of the rub, and close the foil tightly. Cook for an additional 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until well-done and tender. Let the brisket sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Trim any excess fat and slice the brisket thinly against the grain, changing direction as the grain changes...". Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce. Recipe from _Smoke and Spice_ "Cooking with Smoke, the Real way to Barbecue..." by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison Harvard Common Press, 1994 ISBN 1-55832-061-X

• kjed,
    I have made that Dallas Dandy Brisket many times, and there is never a morsel left. Definitely wrap it in foil toward the end of the cook or it will be dry.[p]Barbara