Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood charcoal - experience with it

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

All,

Got some in Friday afternoon.   3 cooks with it over the weekend.   Very pleased.

**** no where the sophistication of the nude wizzard, just my experience ***  but - it was his rating that led me to Rockwood.

Lit easy.   didnt notice any sparking.

On one of the cooks was wanting to cook low.  Got a softball size burning, closed down the damper to where I thought it should be.  Dome temp went to 240 or so -- and held.   Never had to get hotter to get a fire sustained.   My expereince has been not every charcoal will do this.

Smoke from just the charcoal seemed relatively neutral - once again what I like - I can add the flavors I want, didnt have to compete with the charcoal.

Had some Beef Ribs ( separate post) I cooked Sat afternoon.    Total cook time probably 5 hours.  Did not close the dampers after taking the ribs off, just let it go - around 300 on the dome.   Checked around 9 the next morning Egg was just about cooled off - opened it off. 100% of the charcoal was consumed.  No coring, fire moved through out without any problems.   DIdn't have the firebox all the way loaded high like I do with a brisket, so, don't yet know if it will make 20 hours.   But at least it all burned.   Very little Ash remaining.

Did not do anything high temp, so no idea about that.

Piece size was medium to small in this first bag.   Jonathan warned me about his concern of the pieces getting broken up in a small shipment like that.   This bag was on the outside of the stack, so that may have been a factor.   But - I would cook on this stuff all day - even though I would like to see fewer small pieces.   Thinking that shipment and handling might be the issue.

This may be a winner - at least what I have seen so far.

Cookin in Texas

Comments