Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing and transporting BBQ question

tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737

I have the pleasure the make pulled pork BBQ for my family on the 4th. I will be cooking for 45 people. I live in Atlanta and will be driving up to Murfressboro, TN for the big celebration. Here is my plan:

Cook 2-3 butts on Tuesday during the day, FTC for an hour or so, pull and store in the fridge.

Cook the remaing 2-3 butts on Wednesday during the day, FTC for an hour or so, pull and store in the fridge.

Put all bagged BBQ in a large cooler and transport Thursday morning.

Heat up when I get to TN and serve.

My questions are:

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

What is the best way to re-heat the BBQ once I get to TN? Oven? Microwave? Simmering water?

Thanks very much for the advice

LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sounds like you will have 30 - 40 pounds when cooked. Can't imagine being able to microwave that much in a reasonable amount of time. I like to put vac-sealed bags into a slow cooker for re-heat, but you will have enough for a bath tub. So seems like oven would be the way to go.  Put it in foil pans no deeper than 1.5". Adding extra fluid will help. I've tried both small amounts of coke and root beer. both worked OK. Seal w. foil across the top. Don't think it would be a good idea to heat the oven too much. 250 or lower if it will go lower.

Good luck. Sounds like a grand spread for the 4th.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    I cooked 24 lbs for my wife for a school lunch in at the end of the year. I semi turbo cooked, ftc'd  & pulled the night prior, she took the pull'd pork in cooler to her school. Used a nesco on med low to get heat into the meat, then down to low, then stay warm setting. I had injected the butts, so there was a lot of juice while pulling. I captured as much of that as I could and included in the containers I packed the pork in. Wish I also would have kept some of the leftover injection to add while reheating if it would have needed it. Good news was the Pork didn't dry out on re-heat. Could also add in Bone Sucking Sauce or Blues Sauce while re-heating to add moisture if needed ?