Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets see a cook with what you got from your Elf.

Options
Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757

Only a couple of posts so far showing cooks using what you got from your elf.

Should be interesting, as many had included recipes with the packages.  

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    What is this elf you speak of?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    rholt said:
    Cazzy organized a rub and sauce exchange, About 50 forum members took part. The exchange was based on the Elfster web site which randomly assigns who you give and get from. People participating are called an Elf. Kinda like an inter-web secret Santa. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    rholt said:
    Cazzy organized a rub and sauce exchange, About 50 forum members took part. The exchange was based on the Elfster web site which randomly assigns who you give and get from. People participating are called an Elf. Kinda like an inter-web secret Santa. 
    @rholt, dude where yu been?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Ahhh. I gotcha. I saw the posting about the exchange but wasn't participating so didn't follow the thread. I like the concept though.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's some great meow mix you made, Nola.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nola that yardbird looks great!  

I'm afraid I will have to be a copy cat (horrible pun intended).  I have quarters defrosting in the fridge now.  Gonna cook them up memphis style.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Nice! Gonna use some of that sauce as a part in my glaze for our chicken entry this weekend.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thats some tasty looking chicken.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I told you I was a copy cat!  Used the rub from Charlies Meat Market in memphis.  I went with a Memphis dry rub, with a shot of Tregers on the side.  Dayum good!  Sorry for the terrible washed out pic!

imageimage

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lookin good smokypitt!  I asked myself after dinner last night, why don't we cook more leg quarters?  We've been getting uppity through the years and ignoring the 10# bags of giant leg quarters for $4.99 in favor of fancier fare.  I've been enlightened!
    Options
    No doubt man.  I just watched two 8 year old girls gnaw some quarters to the bone, and finish all their veggies! 

BTW- thanks again @dweebs0r for the rubs.  This stuff was outta sight. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    No doubt man.  I just watched two 8 year old girls gnaw some quarters to the bone, and finish all their veggies! 

BTW- thanks again @dweebs0r for the rubs.  This stuff was outta sight. 
    dweebs0r is good people, bought a stoker setup from jody
    Options
    Thank you fellas!  @SmokeyPitt, I am glad to see that you like the rubs/ sauces.  I am going to do it up much bigger for the next exchange!  @nolaegghead, Thank you for the compliment, sir.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • scooter759
    Options
    Got my first chance to use some of the great stuff from @nolaeghead. Sous vided some chicken breast, made a compound butter using the blackened seasoning, Fired up the egg and heated a cast iron skillet. Brushed the breasts with the butter and hit them for a minute or two on both sides. On the side we had wedged red potatoes marinated with balsamic, EVOO, and rosemary. Love the seasoning. Next up is gonna be New Orleans BBQ Shrimp.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @scooter759 - Glad you're enjoying the southern spice.  In the Quarter there's a restaurant that makes excellent BBQ shrimp (they're famous for them).  Trick is you need really large shrimp, like 12 count, but you could get away with 21/25.  You'll need to get an angioplasty the next day (read the butter amount) but it's a wonderful dish.  French bread to soak up the juice is mandatory.

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php

Options
    N'awlins BBQ shrimp esp from Pascale's Manale is one of America's greatest dishes.  I also used to like the Olde N'awlins Cookery down in the quarter but I think it never reopened post Katrina.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    edited July 2013
    Options
    thetrim said:
    N'awlins BBQ shrimp esp from Pascale's Manale is one of America's greatest dishes.  I also used to like the Olde N'awlins Cookery down in the quarter but I think it never reopened post Katrina.

I think if you google it you will find the cookery is alive and well.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Here is from Saturday night, I posted this on the exchange thread already but it belongs here !
    Angus Brisket with Daddy's BBQ Sweet Love Rub, Later made burnt ends with Daddy's BBQ Sauce. Really good stuff , thanks Parkersquared !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Here is a photo !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Haven't done a simple BBQ chicken in forever.  Bridget picked up a big ol' sack O leg quarters today, so I decided to do some straight up BBQ chicken using my Elf's Bootleg BBQ sauce.

Marinated them in some Dale's.  Dried them off, cooked raised direct until about 150, then sauced them and cooked to 175F (Thermapen checked). 

Did some veggies on the gasser, didn't feel like firing up a second egg.

Delicious chicken - very tender and moist.  This sauce is absolutely awesome.  Has a very good, distinct citrus flavor that I love.  It's a thinner sauce than your classic KC or TX sauce, and a nice vinegar tartness to it.  Thanks Scott!

Long ago I discovered the dales low sodium. I used it almost exclusively for many years. Do you find it overpowers your food? I did. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dales is basically a strong umami (from fermented soy) brine.  I wouldn't leave anything in it for more than, depending on what you're marinating, a couple of hours.  Yeah, it can be overpowering.  Stronger the brine, faster it adds salt. 
    Options
    The wife and I love Dales. It seems that different meats take on different amounts. It is really overpowering in poultry. We use it mostly on beef and sometimes small amounts on veggies.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• scooter759
    Options
    @nolaegghead - I bookmarked that BBQ shrimp recipe, thanks. The closest place I can get fresh whole shrimp here is about an hour from me. I can get U8 and U15 frozen shell on (no heads) locally. I know the heads make a big difference in the broth/sauce. Was thinking about using some Better Than Boullion Lobster Base to compensate. Also have some Lee Kum Kee shrimp sauce in the pantry. Anyone have any suggestions on this?
  • nolaegghead
    Options

@nolaegghead - I bookmarked that BBQ shrimp recipe, thanks. The closest place I can get fresh whole shrimp here is about an hour from me. I can get U8 and U15 frozen shell on (no heads) locally. I know the heads make a big difference in the broth/sauce. Was thinking about using some Better Than Boullion Lobster Base to compensate. Also have some Lee Kum Kee shrimp sauce in the pantry. Anyone have any suggestions on this?
    @scooter759 I use that lobster base all the time. Yeah, either of those would probably help compensate - the heads are where a lot of flavor lies - we boil the heads and shells and make shrimp broth, which we freeze and use in many dishes.  Just watch the salt - I don't need to tell you that.

The frozen I think would be fine.  Either size...I know you start paying a premium for the larger sizes. 

We're lucky in that we can drive 10 minutes down the road where the shrimp and oyster boats dock and buy large head-on fresh shrimp for about $3.25/lb.  They're not sorted that well so you get some leviathans mixed up with around regular large....