Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St.louis ribs

Options
will 4.1. .5 be ok, or what are better times? 
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Temp at 225-250, 5 hours is about right. I've found that the thickness can really vary, hence the time. I don't foil. Pulls back on the bone a bit and bend it for full racks. I find one end is thicker so I cut them in half, the large end gets about 30 minutes more than the thin end. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    For St. Louis ribs, I use a constant 250* dome temp (helps using my DigiQ controller) and set the ribs on a raised grate for 4.5 hours. Never open the dome until I am ready to remove them after the 4.5 hour smoke. Comes out done and tasty every time. Foolproof so far. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    no need to foil st.louis? just baby backs?
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

I think you will be fine and listen to the experts above.  I had to hurry up my STL and they still came out great.  No Foil...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153055/ribs-and-legs-pics#latest

Milton, GA.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    I cook my St. Louis style ribs indirect at 300 deg straight through now . No foil needed. I see no benifits to lower temps . 4 hrs gets them just right most every time .
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    fairchase said:
    I cook my St. Louis style ribs indirect at 300 deg straight through now . No foil needed. I see no benifits to lower temps . 4 hrs gets them just right most every time .
    Sounds good to me. The KISS method.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I like simple also.  I do SL SRs at 300 indirect until they bend almost 90  degrees when you pick the up at one end.  Usually 4.5-5 hours.  No foil, just sauce about the last hour or so.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Just be sure and use "time" as a guideline for any Q.  Q is done when it is done, so while a certain time will get you in the ballpark, but you need to check for yourself that the ribs, etc are done.  I've seen ribs vary by as much as two hours.

PS--I never foil ribs.  Think the texture is so much better without foiling.