Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Improvisation - Bacon wrapped pork loin

So another first for me - bacon wrapped pork loin.
Had 2 pork loins, washed and dried, did not cut off excess fat. Rubbed down with mustard, then a dry rub with sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili, salt and pepper, rosemary and ginger. Also added some jerk seasoning wrapped and kept in fridge overnight.
Next day - fired up lbge set @ 250 indirect with apple chips.
Wrapped loin in bacon blanket (needed a ton of toothpicks - bacon was too short so "customised".
Put on Egg until internal temp of 100 - them spritzed with Angostura 1919 rum (I am off to Trinidad next week and wanted a local flavour)
Spritzed again at 125 and 140. Removed at 155, put on direct heat till 165 and voila!

Bacon Blanket

Marinated pork loin

Bacon wrapped pork loin - notice the 2 dozen toothpicks :)

1919 rum from Trinidad - this rum is magic - nectar of the gods!

On the LBGE

Final product. image

Any direction on improving is greatly appreciated - for instance how not to use so many toothpicks :)

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Some of the more progressive chefs in the newest restaurants use a product called meat glue. Mixed with water and a brief stay in the fridge it will stick together like they came from the same mother.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I always use center cut bacon and wrap it tight. I let the bacon sit out for 10 minutes or so, and it'll become kind of sticky almost. Wrap it tight and it always sticks and never comes loose or unwrapped. Look at the bacon and make sure there's meat all the way across it, otherwise the fat will pull apart and then you won't be able to wrap it tight without pulling it apart. image
    NW IOWA
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    You have it all wrong!  Trade the rum for woldford reserve bourbon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• brianwdmn said:

Some of the more progressive chefs in the newest restaurants use a product called meat glue. Mixed with water and a brief stay in the fridge it will stick together like they came from the same mother.

I heard about this and read that it contains stuff that is not natural - I could be wrong - will check it out again.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I heard about this and read that it contains stuff that is not natural - I could be wrong - will check it out again.
    check out this thread, the only thing I can pick up on it is that if you didn't have it in your cells already you wouldn't exist.