Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made dry rub mix for pork ribs

Options
Have bought and used several dry rubs on ribs and like them all...Some more expensive than others.  Does anyone have a homemade rub for pork ribs that works well??  Have been going through ribs like a beaver through wood lately....just flat love'm on the BGE!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's one from amazingribs that I really like.

Memphis Dust Recipe

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
    Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Go to the web sight to read more about this rub.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options

Here one I like

All-South Barbecue Rub

Chris Schlesinger's basic BBQ rub recipe. You can't go wrong with this one.

Recipe From : The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger

2 Tablespoons salt (Kosher)
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    (Raw)
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons ground cumin
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    2 Tablespoons black pepper
    (Freshly Cracked)
    1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
    4 Tablespoons paprika
    (Hungarian)

All you do is throw them together and mix them well or you can if you have one run them through a coffee grinder.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2013
    Options
    billyray said:

Here's one from amazingribs that I really like.

Memphis Dust Recipe

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
    Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Go to the web sight to read more about this rub.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

+1 on Meathead's Memphis Dust. Have tried variations, granulated garlic vs garlic powder, smoked paprika vs Hungarian, table salt (2/3rds of what is called for) vs Kosher, Turbinado vs regular brown etc....
    The key ingredients are ginger and rosemary powder. 
    Staple at our house, always good.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Thanks to all who gave me recipes...look forward to trying these ASAP....St. Louis style ribs on sale now and loading the wagon with them....Don't be alarmed if there seems to be a shortage of these at your local grocery store.....I'm trying to corner the market!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    That Memphis rub sounds perfect for pork. Need to track down some rosemary powder. Thanks for sharing.
  • EgginMisfit
    Options
    Hot and Sweet rub. I really like it a lot. Found it somewhere online

1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet or smoked paprika
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup kosher or coarse salt
    1/4 cup freshly cracked black pepper
    3 tablespoons onion powder
    3 tablespoons thyme
    3 tablespoons oregano
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I adapted mine from the Joy of Cooking's southern dry rub. 2 tbs cumin 2 tbs packed brown sugar 1/4 cup paprika 2 tbs chili powder (experiment with varieties like ancho ;) ) Cayenne pepper as needed for a little heat 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp dry mustard 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp onion powder 1-2 tbs kosher salt 1-2 tbs ground peppercorns 1/2 tbs oregano Mix it all up with your hands. I use it on ribs, pork butt (sprinkle a little on after pulling too), brisket, tri-tip (awesome, especially if doing a simple board sauce). I used it on a spatchcock chicken and it was good, but I prefer a citrus based marinade for that. It's changed over the years, but experimentation is fun :D
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Sorry bout the formatting. I typed the above in recipe format, how do I get it to stay that way?