Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing meat question

Options
Ok I have three racks of baby backs and four quarter chickens rubbed and vacuum sealed in the fridge I was supposed to grill to marrow but its supposed to rain until wendsday...my question is can I freeze them or should I just leave them in the fridge they are vacuum sealed so will they be ok? Or should I freeze them?.....HELP HELP HELP
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    I would cook hem anyway. Egg is just fine in the rain.
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    FREEZE FREEZE FREEZE!  I would freeze it all as I have seen chicken go bad in 3 short days.  The smell is terrible.  I would also freeze the ribs as you don't want the rub to penetrate for that long.  Freezing should stop those ribs from sucking up that rub too much.  Just my guesses into common sense. Best of luck.  I use a vacuum sealer myself with great results.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I probably wouldn't worry about the ribs, the chicken is a different story. I would freeze the chicken and pull it out to defrost in the fridge 30 hours before cook time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BigGreenHead
    Options
    @pwg56 I would love to cook them any way but I don't want to crack the egg or have the cool rain drop my temp..or are you telling me the rain doesn't effect this?
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    The rain WILL NOT effect the egg. I've cooked in the rain many times.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    My rain hat.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sack up man and cook.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    The rain WILL NOT effect the egg. I've cooked in the rain many times.

What he said. Fire it up and let it rip!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    The rain doesn't effect anything besides getting it fired up.  If you have a way to get it started up without soaking the charcoal you will be just fine. I've cooked in rain/snow/sleet a bunch.  Only time it affected me was on a low and slow pork butt when the snow was coming down so much it plugged the daisy wheel and the fire went out.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    +1, cook as planned.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    +2 Get cookin

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• BigGreenHead
    Options
    Ok screw it... I'm EGGING ON!!!!!!! Thanks fellow eggers, just another reason why I love this forum...
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Cool. If you haven't Egged in the rainier snow you haven't Egged.

Yes your neighbors will think you are nuts but they just don't understand the power of the EGG.

Garnerville, NY
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    cook my brother, cook! - lol 

i have a patio umbrella next to my egg. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD