Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lobster?

Options
Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. I know this is going to sound strange, but has anyone tried to cook a lobster on the BGE. Here in florida, we don't get a good price on Maine Lobster much, but the local grocery has it on sale this week. I was thinking, hell the BGE makes everything taste better, I wonder if I can bring some of that "Clambake" feeling to a lobster. If anyone has tired it let me know. Also the best method you have found for cooking it is also requested. I would think about 10 min indirect at around 375 would be good, but if I kill em myself I don't know how to keep them from walking around the BGE or how to season them [p]-- Joshua[p]

Comments

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Cjopa
    <p />Joshua Kane, I grill spiney lobster tails. I add a little citrus chips and make a lemon butter sauce.You could wash the whole lobster in fresh watter and put it on the egg whole.I think the moisture would steam it inside. I have done stone crab claws this way.

NYE04003.jpg[p]
    NYE04006.jpg

NYE04010.jpg[p]
    [p]

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Jopa,
    I'll take two of those for the WVU-South Florida game. Do I place my order now? :-)

• Jopa
    Options
    WVU_Egg,Thats the way to tailgate my friend.You must stop by and share a drink or two outside Ray Jay. Lets goooo beat the turtles!

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Jopa,
    We will definitely need to meet and share a drink or two. I'll shoot you an email with my cell phone and everything a few days before the game. [p]Go Mountaineers.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    onthegrill_1.jpg
    <p />Joshua Kane,[p]heres a snapshot of a clambake that i tried last year using a wet towel instead of seaweed. the lobster was under cooked and below ere some tips that i got if i try again. hth[p]Scott[p]
    seaweed goes on the bottom, towell goes on top.if no seaweed, water should go on bottom (ive only used soaked seaweed. when doing a clambake, the best method to judge if done is an onion placed were it is accessable and near the lobster. when the onions cooked the lobsters are done.dont use your watch. some times the clams will be over done, but during a real bake you cant remove the setup until everything is done.on the egg you can remove the steamers before the lobster if they fully open, and only if the clams are open,clams that dont open are to be thrown away. on the egg ive found that steaming them is different than in a pot, ive found that the claws and back need to be slit to let some of the moisture out while cooking or the texture comes out wrong. all that said, im a newenglander that likes lobster boiled with water beer oldbay and some hot spice with potatoes, hotdogs and corn thrown in [p]
    The first indication that the lobster is done is the color. They turn bright red. If you want to be sure it's done, grab one of the antenna and give it a gentle tug. If it pulls free easily then the lobster is done. When the clams open up, they are done. If it were me I would put water soaked seaweed in the bottom and cover the lobsters with the wet towel.[p]

• Jopa
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    Sounds great.*^#@ the turtles!

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    Grilled lobster on the Egg is great. They need to be killed just prior to cooking, take a large knife and locate the cross on the shell directly behind the head and plunge the knife staight down, perpendicular to the body. I grill them direct for about 8 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Take care to pull all the legs back against the body and lay across the grid so they don't hang down through and burn, but the legs usually aren't worth eating unless you've got 2 pounders and up.[p]More than a few people have posted good things here about the "Dwell In The Shell" recipe also, I've never tried it, but here is the link.[p]One last tip, always remove the rubber bands from the claws before cooking, even when boiling or steaming, they leave a nasty flavor that permeates the claw meat[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

[ul][li]Houndog's Dwell In The Shell[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Joshua Kane, as Citizen Q indicated, "Houndogs" Lobster on the Egg comes with many recommendations from Eggers. I would never, ever cook a lobster any other way. It is one of the best things you can cook on the Egg.