Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken Salad

Options
Anyone else ever do this? Basically I smoke a chicken, beer can style, then pull the chicken and add it to some hard boiled eggs, grapes, apples, pecans and onions and mayonnaise. Awesome on a hot summer day, and I've substituted other fruits as well, but the grapes and apples seem to taste best IMHO.

The one complaint I have is that my rub flavor never comes through in the chicken in the finished product. So this time I removed the skin on the chicken and covered the entire chicken in a light mustard followed by a fair amount of rub. Yes, I know mustard isn't normal on chicken but since I'm experimenting anyway I figured why not. 

Last check it was at 150*, so about another hour to +half and it should be ready. I'm also using a water pan to help prevent the outside from drying out too much. Hopefully that helps some. Anyhow, just figured I'd contribute today as I do quite a bit of lurking. Will post pics of the finished product.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mine is famous in our group of friends. Chicken, mayo, celery and pepper. The chicken is the star. Heavy, heavy hickory smoke. I usually spatchcock one and then pull. I pull the skin back, rub... Lay the skin back over and rub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    On my list
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I do mine spatchcocked with Dizzy Pig cowlick all over, including under the skin. Let it sit open in the fridge for 24+ hours and then 400 raised direct.  I usually only use fruit woods or pecan on chicken. Never tried hickory I will have to next time.

Mix with shredded cheese, mayo, and boiled eggs. Delicious.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • KaosinBloom
    KaosinBloom Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @henapple: Removing and replacing the skin was actually my initial intent...and then I made a complete mess out of the skin. Using a hickory/apple wood combo with an apple ale beer inside the bird. Never added celery to mine...that's definitely something I'm going to consider next time.

@Thatgrimguy: I used to use a pecan/apple mix, but could never get enough smoke to my liking, so this time I decided to swap the pecan out for hickory. We'll see how it turns out.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Mickey said:

Mickey, you have a receipe for this, or do you just wing it? I spatched one last night and pulled the leftovers for chicken salad.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My wife does ours, after I cook and pick the chicken. Usually onion, celery, pecans, banana peppers, sweet pickles, with a combo of mayo and horseradish mustard.

With the egg, if you're gonna cook one, might as well cook two. Makes for a super easy dinner, or a few days of lunch for the three of us.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Makers_N_Water
    Options
    Did it this weekend with the left over half of a spatchcock!  Whatever your preference of other ingredients for a chicken salad is, it's hard to argue that an egged-up spatchcock doesn't provide the best main ingredient!  
    Sometimes I skip the water.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Love some smoked chicken salad.  I have just done a pretty simple recipe with what I had on hand. I think I have just done it with chicken, mayo, and a little lemon juice once and it was darn good. 

Try a chicken salad melt on grilled sourdough sometime.  

:-j

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Oh yeah!  That is one of our favorites and we'll smoke an extra bird or two just to have it for chicken salad.  Great stuff, isn't it? 

Alexis took it to a work lunch and the people loved it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This