Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken fail!

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
Well I decided to have some friends over to show off the food that comes off of the bge. My first mistake was making a homemade lump reducing ring out of fire bricks. My second mistake was trying to use up my accidental purchase natural briquettes instead of lump.

Anywho, since I don't have a raised direct setup I went indirect. I skinned the chicken since I consistently get rubbery skin. The egg was taking a while to heat up but it finally reached 350. I was wanting 400-425 but just didn't have the time to wait. Put on some apple/cherry chips, PS, grid, then chicken. Once I did all that the done temp was reading 300 and didn't budge one bit even with the top off and bottom damper wide open.

Well long story short it took forever for the chicken to get up to temp. Once it did the outer part of the skin was super tough and that made me sad as all the good DP seasonings were in that part. I tried injecting this bird too but didn't notice a big difference in flavor.

Overall a pretty disappointing cook. I still haven't mastered chicken in the egg and it frustrates me as I love chicken sooooo much.

The below picture is what my chicken looked like the other day when I attempted skin on. Double fail!!!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I really like your dishes.  Kinda an Indian motif.   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Hope your wife takes your matches away until you read this forum MORE !
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. 
    Suggest you use lump (of course you know that), indirect temp at 400-450 grid. Leave your spatched bird in the fridge uncovered with skin on overnight. Give it a light dusting, and I mean light dusting of baking powder or corn starch (use a fine sieve to dust it) no more than 1/2 hour before you cook. No rub or oil at all. Cook, with feet to the hinge,  to 150 breast 170 leg/thigh. remove let sit for 5 minutes, carve and serve. 
    You should have crisp skin and juicy interior. next time try a little rub. If skin goes rubbery, you used too much rub, IMHO. Get it right using the more forgiving indirect, then try raised direct. 
    Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    Thanks all. This is what my firebox looked like when cleaning this morning. And the reason that last one looked so charred as I was going to do skin down for 15 minutes then flip and finish. A little too much sugar in the rub for sure.
  • rholt
    And believe it or not I am on this forum daily. Just a really bad series of unfortunate events.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    You have self-diagnosed the problem.  Just don't do it again. :D