Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone bought one ?

Options

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited June 2013
    Options
    i want to see what happens here, wireless monitoring thermocouples and a brand we all know and trust.  i would be down when my maverick goes to the ghost which i am sure it will one of these days.  at that price though not much more you can get a stoker or a digiq wifi.

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    $199 is 5 mavericks ...
    Lynnwood WA
  • U_tarded
    Options

double said:
    $199 is 5 mavericks ...
    i know or 3 i grills.  where do you draw the line

• U_tarded
    Options
    but also using that reasoning a thermapen is nearly 10 of these.

• Q27
    Q27 Posts: 5
    Options
    Looks good but blue tooth just like the iGrill. Blue tooth will only go so far. I tried the Maverick and the iGrill. Great tools when in range but both have a disappointing distance. The Blue Therm Duo looks awesome but my guess is that it would still be limited by blue tooth.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It does look good but it is pretty pricey.  The problem I see with this is a maverick is pretty darn good at what it does.  If you are cooking a butt or brisket the you really don't need the probe to be super fast or super accurate.  A thermapen has a clear advantage over other instant read thermos; but I'm just not seeing the advantage of this unit over a maverick or igrill to justify it being 3-5 times the cost.  My $.02. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The probe is the weakest part of the system??  What is the rating?
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I am tempted by the Duo since I love the ability of remote monitoring. However, I have calibrated my Maverick (it shows to be 2* low) and it has the remote feature AND it is still working like a charm. I put some RTV silicone on the probe connections and, thus, no problems so far with the probes. So... until the Maverick gives up the ghost, I will stay with it. At such time, I will more seriously consider the Duo.

I do have the Thermopenan and the IR Industrial Thermometer from ThermoWorks. They are top of the line, of course. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My maverick is poo-poo. Despite recalibration, it is 200 degrees off at times for the cooker and 50 degrees for the food. I pretty sure it is just the crap probes that they use. I'm considering this bad boy for the simple fact that it uses thermocouples. It does make me consider just moving up to a pit controller, though.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll buy this as soon as my 5 th set of maverick probes die. This looks awesome to me. Commercial probes and you know TW will stand behind them. Hopefully I'm done buying thermos. Of course for another Hundo you could get digi q wifi.....might just go that route.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I looked at this last night and it was over 200. First issue with the Maverick and I am on this.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.