Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 hours and my large burned all the lump!!!!!?????

Options
i recently got a large egg to complement my XL for fathers day!!! so figured what the hell fire it up now i had it on cynder blocks because my nest wasnt in yet so, i just did chicken breasts and legs just to break her in they were delightful !!!  Any hoo, after about 4.5 hours my egg started loosing heat ..and i took this as i was in the garage and after the sun went down there was absolutly no air flow in there what so ever ...but i look in the egg and it had burned up all the lump and i do mean all......is it different on a L than a XL ..is there some thing i dont know about???  I mean i started it the same stabalized my temp the same and also cooked the same delicious meal the same ....any help is appreciated!!!   Happy Egging!!!!
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Keep in mind the large holds less lump so all else being equal, it won't last as long. I once cooked a butt for about 18 hours on a large at 250° Had half the lump left. With a 900° pizza cook, it's almost gone by the time it gets there!

Airflow in the garage doesn't matter. As long as there is, you know, actual air in the garage. :) Sun doesn't matter either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    fill it up to the top of the fire-ring - 10 pounds or so.  It depends on the temp you're running but you should get at least 12 hours around 300F.  I'll burn up 10 pounds of lump in two hours making pizzas.  And I've gone 20+ hours in the 200's.
    i've gotten 25 plus hours at 265 on my large high temps in my large burns fast although i have found for pizza cooks if i take the time to light the whole top of my lump rather than fives places the lump seems to last a little longer and heats up faster and way way less flash backs because of the even burning is my guess . but since i started doing it that way my large and XL which does my pizza cooks hasn't flashed on me 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have made it to 30 hrs on my Large at 250F.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I think you're missing a couple of variables here, how hot you were running and how high you filled the egg with lump. If you had only filled the fire box and ran it at 400-450 for 4.5 hours I wouldn't find that too surprising.

Like others, I've filled to the top of the fire ring on my large and got 15 hours at 260-280, with half the lump left.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Check the dome thermo - maybe you cooked higher than you thought.  Make sure you have a good seal on the dome to base.

Garnerville, NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Me, too.  I've done an 18-hour cook at 230-240 on a large butt with a good load of lump
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Yep. I think you need to calibrate your thermometer. Does strange things otherwise and deplete you of meat $

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Me, too.  I've done an 18-hour cook at 230-240 on a large butt with a good load of lump
    What do you cook for 30 hours??
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Calibrate thermometer first. Then make sure full load of charcoal, then light the top portion. This is assuming the egg is assemble correctly and you don't have a large air gap somewhere
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I agree with all who said check your thermometer, especially considering its new. How high did you fill it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Every bag of lump is different in my experience.  On Fathers day I loaded my firebox with a fresh load of Wicked Good for my ribs and did a 3-2-1 at 230-240.  The next day I went to get it ready for another cook and I discovered that almost all the lump was gone.  I have done the same cook many times and had at least half my lump left.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!