Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

I have the extra large egg, and although i clean it out, I never can get a good hot temperature. Do I need a fan or what? It seems sometimes I cant even get past 250 degrees. It gets frustrating???

Help?

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    You should clean out your fire grate it is probably plugged up with small pieces of lump.  If the grate is not plugged up and both vents are wide open you should be able to wrap the pin in 10 to 15 mins.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Try switching your lump.  Put less lump in for a hot cook...make sure the fire grate isn't getting choked off.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo (although I'd imagine you can tell if the fire is hot just by opening the dome).

It's all about air flow.  More air, more fire, more heat.
    XL firegrates don't plug...they are huge. You are using lumharcoal, not briquettes right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Damp lump can cause this.  Get a brand new bag from a store and try a test run!
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

Make sure your fire spreads to a good portion of the lump before closing the lid (7 to 10 minutes).  If you are lighting in only one spot it takes a little longer.  If you are using the starter cubes, break them in half and place about 6 inches apart (use two if needed).  I just bought a propane weed burner and it gets the lump going in no time but the cubes work fine.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE