Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok for my large egg

I'm thinking about getting a wok for my large egg. 
So you experts out there, what should I get, and where should I get it.

Thanks

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I got a Wok from the Ceramic Grill Store. While you are there, get the Large Spider (for Large BGE) for setting the Wok on it.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    16 inch, carbon steel.  Handles or no handles, your choice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    I get a hand hammered wok? 
  • Village Idiot
    BGEGP said:
    I get a hand hammered wok? 
    It won't make any difference in your cooks.  I have 4 woks, none are hammered.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• BGEGP
    Thank you sirs for the info.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    IMHO if you get a 14/16 for your large and have the dog ear handles, you can close the cover if you ever wish to use a bamboo steamer or get it low into the BGE.  I normally use a 14" with wood handle because I feel the handle gives me better control over the cook.  
    Some Thoughts:

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407

I'm thinking of getting one also, but wondered if it was any better to get one of the cast iron ones from the wok shop.

Anybody ever compared Carbon Steel vs Cast Iron?

South SLO County
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2013
    IMHO if you get a 14/16 for your large and have the dog ear handles, you can close the cover if you ever wish to use a bamboo steamer or get it low into the BGE.  I normally use a 14" with wood handle because I feel the handle gives me better control over the cook.  
    Some Thoughts:

Some of us disagree with Richard FL on the size ideal for the large.  If you really get into stir frying, you will want to have a very hot fire.  The larger wok (16") will somewhat abate the flames coming around the wok onto your hands and arms.  Also, you will obviously be able to put a bit more food in your wok as you cook.  I do have a 14" wok, but I use it on my medium BGE.  I believe Travis uses a 22" wok on his XL.

The 14" will work fine, but if you really get into stir frying (wok hei, etc.), I think you will outgrow it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• BGEGP
    Has anybody used a cast iron wok?  I was looking at the wok shop website and discovered these.
    http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-cast-iron.html

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a 14" CI wok from the Wok Shop that I've seasoned but not cooked on yet. I'll try to do a CI vs carbon steel test this weekend & report back.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BGEGP
    Thanks,  I'll hold my order.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited June 2013
    I got a chance to do a little wokking for lunch today. Admittedly, I used my Tao cooker instead of firing up an Egg. The point was to compare performance using my cast iron wok to a carbon steel wok. Here's a shot of the CI wok from the Wok Shop:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    and the chicken & shallots stir-fry I did (left side of the dish was from the CI wok, right side from a 16" carbon steel wok):
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We really couldn't tell any difference in taste. Both sides were tasty. I found performance to be pretty similar.

Rather than rely upon my limited wok cooking experience, here's some excerpts from the Wok Buying Guide section of The Breath of a Wok by Grace Young

"Carbon steel and cast iron produce the best woks, especially for stir-frying."

"The great advantage of carbon steel is that it heats and cools down quickly, preventing overcooking once the wok is removed from the heat."

"Cast-iron woks are slower to heat than carbon-steel woks, but because cast iron retains heat well, it is excellent for stir-frying, braising, and slow cooking. Unlike carbon-steel pans, cast-iron pans do not respond quickly to heat adjustments. Less experienced stir-fry cooks often find that once the wok is removed from the heat, the food must be immediately transferred to a platter or it will continue to cook in the hot wok."

"Cast-iron woks manufactured in China are preferable to cast-iron woks made in America: they are much thinner and lighter in weight." Definitely light weight. Here's the weight on my 14" cast-iron from the Wok Shop: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    "A Chinese-made cast-iron wok is fragile. If it is smacked against a hard surface, the wok will shatter."

If you think you might be rough on the wok, I'd say go carbon steel. Otherwise I don't think you can lose with either one.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BGEGP
    Thanks for you report R2egg2Q!  That is what I needed to know. 
    Thanks again
  • I have the one from the wok shop and I think it is probalby the 14 inch.  I went with carbon steel after reading the Grace Young book.  Fits nicely on spider and gets really hot--which is why I have about one wok picture--goes too fast to take photosimage
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    I love my 16" Carbon Steel from the Wok Shop. Had it for about 6 years now and I'm still cooking great meals on it. I use it mostly on my homemade turkey frier/wok burner creation, and occasionally on my LBGE. It fits the large egg perfectly and for family meals I couldn't imagine a smaller wok, the food wouldn't fit. Admittedly, larger portions don't cook as perfectly as small batches. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited June 2013
    Let me preface this by saying I am just as serious as the next guy when it comes to egging, and I do so with passion.

HOWEVER....

I have to be honest with this wok thread, IMHO there is no better way to wok than over the burner used from a turkey deep fryer. I personally do not find it to be worth it to fire the egg up and use as much fuel as it takes to wok. With the turkey burner, it is simply turn on, instant heat (with my carbon steel wok) cook, and turn off. I can have family eat, and mess cleaned up before I could have gotten my egg up to cooking temps.

I know this is more of a thread for what size to use on the egg, but it is relevant because I would want you to consider the fact that you may not always be cooking on the egg. I would bet that if you tried to wok on a turkey burner, you may never wok on the egg at all. I don't find many benefits to using the egg other than being able to say "Hey, can you do this on your gasser?"

-KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."