Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a Baked Bean recipe!

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good one I can use???

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]Here is one that Hawgeyes bbq resturant in Iowa uses.......... [p]Rick’s Blue Ribbon Barbeque Pit Beans[p]
     Two 28 oz. & one 15 ½ oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
     12 oz. Barbeque sauce.
     ½ onion, finely diced
     ½ green pepper, finely diced
     2 celery stalks, finely diced
     8 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
     ½ pound brown sugar
     2 tablespoons powered hickory seasoning (or bbq rub)
     2 tablespoon celery seed
     1 pound of smoked pork or brisket
     1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)[p]_____________________________________________________________[p]
    Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about ½ thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 225 to 250 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary.[p]Can be done in the oven.[p]Rick[p][p][p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    ShortRib,
    I have never been happy using canned beans in a Baked Bean recipe. Here's one that was posted many years ago on this Forum that I am very happy with. Note that you can skip the soak and just cook the beans on a very slow simmer until just barely tender. You can line the bean pot with bacon; very good flavor. I use a LeCreuset pot and a platesetter; I don't do the extra-low temp startup, but keep the temp around 300-325 just so the beans are bubbling. Stir occasionally. Don't hurry, they're done when they're done. The aroma's great. Who is Walrus? Who is Dorothy Thomas? I don't know!

Baked Beans on the BGE[p]Baked Beans
    the walrus' modification for the BGE from Dorothy Thomas' recipe[p]2C Dry Beans (I use navy or pea beans)
    9C Water (4 C for soaking, 5 C for cooking)
    1/2 tea Baking Soda
    1/2C Molasses (I use dark Brer Rabbit brand)
    2TB Brown Sugar
    1TB Vinegar
    1/4 C Onion, chopped (I use more!)
    2TB Dry Mustard (I use prepared; either dijon or yellow)[p]Soak beans in 4 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of soda overnight. Drain, put back in pot with 5 cups of water and cook until tender (about one hour). Drain and save cooking liquid. Put beans in a cast iron Dutch oven and add the molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, and dry mustard. Pour all the cooking liquid over the beans.[p] Baking[p]Place Dutch oven uncovered in the BGE on top of fire bricks. Use your favorite wood for smoking. Keep the temperature between 150 and 200 for about 1 hour, less time for less smoke flavor. (If not using wood smoke, start baking at 300 degrees for a total of 3 and 1/2 hours.) After smoking, bring the temperature to 300 degrees gradually. During the 3 and 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, stir at hourly intervals. Remove the Dutch oven from the BGE when the beans are about the consistency of a thick stew.[p]
    Cover the Dutch oven and let the beans rest. The rest of the liquid will be absorbed by the beans.[p]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Gretl, You are close. Do an overnight soak of 1 1/2 lb of marrow or jacob cattle beans. Boil 2 minutes (after soak) put into bean pot with mustard. bay leaf, pound of bacon peices (yes that's right) molasses, onion, brown sugar. Fill to top with bean water. I then put into oven at bedtime at 215 degrees. Cooks all night. I'm going to try this on egg but as yet am afraid of busting bean pot.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2005004544.jpg
    <p />Charbon ,
    ive been using my bean pots for a few years now, some i keep for reheating and presentation, others are for the egg as they dont clean up easily. cant make good beans without a beanpot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it