Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt and Pulled Pork Questions

Options
bbqman
bbqman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has to work tomorrow and the rest of the family isn't comming over until dinner (mustard rubbed steaks) so I decided to spend the 4th of July with my dog, my BGE, Mr. Sam Adams (and probably a several of his friends) and a Boston Butt.[p]For great pulled pork I have heard that you want to cook until the internal temperature reads 195-200. [p]What temperature do you recommend to cook the Butt at and more importantly, what kind of wood would you use to smoke it?[p]The Butt weighs in at just under 5lbs -- Sam Adams approx 12 fl oz per bottle. I have rubbed with mustard and covered in JJ's Rub.[p]Any help would be greatly appreciated.[p]Also, how long can I expect the cook to take at the various temperatures.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    bbqman,
    Sam Adams is good.
    195-200* internal is good.
    225-250* dome temp is good.
    Any wood you like is good.
    I like mesquite, personal preference.
    At the above temps figure about 12 hrs or so.
    Beer it's not just for breakfest anymore.
    Need more I will be here.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bbqman,
    Great to have JJ back posting in force, and he be steering you right. Nothing to add, except have a Sam Adams for me!! And that usually you can't go wrong with JJ's advice.....rephrase that....I have never gone wrong by following his advice.[p]And enjoy the cook. More fun than you could ever imagine.[p]Happy 4th
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You should have said save a Sam Adams for You and me. Mo betta that way. He give You and I drink. hehe

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    bbqman,[p] Just last week, with J.J's help, I done a small 3-1/2 pork
    sholder. I stayed on the egg for 10 hrs & turned out super.
    I was ready for diner at six but had to wait untill just
    short of 9:pm. Well worth the wait.[p] Earl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JJ,
    Still workin hard...but now that I think about it, aint be no reason I can't crack me one of those cold ones I got in the fridge! [p]I think I will finally take a break and do butterflied whole chicken tomorrow. Cat has been sayin it is her favorite way to do a bird, so I fingered I would give it a try! 270 direct and stylin and smylin. Enjoy your multi-egg smoke out JJ.
    Cheers (now with a cold one in hand)
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ