Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - while there is still time

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm started my first pulled pork tonight. I followed Elder Wards' fire box cleaning and fire preparation to the T. I fired up humpty and thought I stablized right under 200 dome temp. HOWEVER after more than an hour of shutting back my lower door to a mere 1/8th inch and Ms Daisy with just small slit eyes I can't get him to back off from 250-255. What do I do? Kill the fire and start it again? Please help! Thanks!!!! RRP
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RRP,
    Forget the crap about being 200* as critical. 250* is just great to cook PP. Leave the vents just where they are, maybe tap the lower vent just smaller. You will be just finje. Sit back and relas and enjoy the evening. Have a good nights sleep and be ready to pig out tomorrow.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RRP,
    Often an 1/8" is all it should be open. Is there a daisy top on it and is it closed? Close it up and leave the bottom alone where it is. The Egg does not give up heat well so you never want to go past your ideal cooking temp for very long. I would not worry about hitting 200 -- go with 220-250 and it will be fine. 200 is too hard to hold.[p]Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    RRP,[p] Go ahead & put on you pork, the temp will drop when you
    place the shoulder or butt on the egg. The reading of 250
    is only a touch to high, so you will have plenty of time
    to reajust as you go along.[p] Earl

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    JJ,[p] Hey J.J, You & Tim are pretty quick on the draw. I thought
    I would be the first to add my thoughts. Glad to have you
    back & in full form as usual.[p] Happy 4th[p] Earl & Barb

• JJ
    Options
    Earl,
    You, Tim and I all think alike. Give Barb a kiss from me.
    Kathy and I are looking forward to seeing and spending some time with you two again.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tim M, I guess I wasn't too clear, but I put my butt on when I thought it had already stabilized at 200 and then it took off. At 1.5 hours he's still LOCKED at 260 with bottom a mere 1/8 and daisy closed. Internal temp is already 115...geez have I screwed it up already??? [p]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JJ
    Options
    RRP,
    I think you screwed up in the placement of the probe not anywhere else,. Relax and reset the probe. Stay away from bone and make sure you get into the center of the butt.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, ya worry too much..:-) Heck, some of the pro's, (if there is such a thing) run 275 alla time.
    I like the 240 to 260 area and no worry..cook it!
    Nice if you can hold 225-250 all the way...Cheers..Happy Eating and 4th of July!
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RRP,
    Like CW and Jj said, relax. You are in a perfect range for the job. Just one note, sometimes I have the bottom vent adjusted to 1/16 inch thru the whole cook, so just a crack lets plenty of air in to keep the fire goin.[p]RELAX!!! You be doin just fine.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JJ,
    Barb and Earl treated me real fine at this past eggfest2000. I look forward to sitting down, chatting, drinking (and cooking) with all of you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    JJ,
    Sounds like a classic case of "uusorted lump". He must have just dumped in the lump staight from the bag. [p]
    OOOoooo, did I say that? Someone should slap me![p]T :-)

• JJ
    Options
    Tim M,
    hehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!