Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low&Slow to Hot&Fast-lump transition management?

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,170
Okay-Given I don't have clearance from SWMBO ( no need for comments here:)) for dueling BGE's how do those who prefer one brand of lump for the L&S make the transition to H&F-lump-wise with the same cook?  I load about 80-90% L&S lump and then when quickly (key word) removing the platesetter, check the lump load and recharge with the H&F brand.  Works for me but thought I would see how others of the solo BGE clan manage the transition. 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Ozark oak does it all for me. Do it all the time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    All Ozark Oak for me as well.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Not sure I understand the question. You use two different brands of lump; one for low and slow, the other for hot and fast? I only use one brand (RO) and it is great for L&S and H&F.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok, sorry to sound stupid, but what would be the reason for using Different brands of lump for low and slow vs hot and fast? I have never changed before. I use RO! Sometimes BGE or cowboy. Saw some Wicked today and picked that up.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Same here. One brand for all cooks. Recently switched from WGWW to Wegmans brand (Royal Oak). At $6 for a ten pound bag price is right. Starting to hoard (6 bags today) in anticipation of it not being available soon. Still June but the store is already starting to highlight canning and fall stuff. I figure by July 4 the summer stuff, including lump will be gone, closely followed by Christmas stuff.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tjcoley said:

Same here. One brand for all cooks. Recently switched from WGWW to Wegmans brand (Royal Oak). At $6 for a ten pound bag price is right. Starting to hoard (6 bags today) in anticipation of it not being available soon. Still June but the store is already starting to highlight canning and fall stuff. I figure by July 4 the summer stuff, including lump will be gone, closely followed by Christmas stuff.

@tjcoley. I only use Wegmans brand. I am able to get it year round at my store in Maryland.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Don't remember seeing lump at Wegmans after summer but not really looking last year. Hopefully they will continue to stock it, but just in case I'm loading up.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tjcoley said:

Don't remember seeing lump at Wegmans after summer but not really looking last year. Hopefully they will continue to stock it, but just in case I'm loading up.

It's in the sundries section with the plates and napkins during "non-grilling" season. They will enjoy even order it for you in bulk(mine offered)
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Don't understand two types of lump...if that's what I'm reading.  I just use wicked good WW..and the heat increase time is reduced with a coal grate such as the SS one from Cer. works...just sayin.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    what part of MD do you live @eggcelsior
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD