Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Flank

Options
ChokeOnSmoke
ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's flank steak, cranked the egg up to 700 and tossed it on.  Took 7 min to reach 120-125 internal.  Can't get enough of this cut...

Washed it down with one of these damn tasty English beers...

Packerland, Wisconsin

Comments

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    Flank is a tasty and lean cut. Fortunately for fans of it, it's not too popular with regular folk!

There's only a pound or two of flank per half beef. If more people liked it, I imagine the price could go through the roof.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Flank is a tasty and lean cut. Fortunately for fans of it, it's not too popular with regular folk!

There's only a pound or two of flank per half beef. If more people liked it, I imagine the price could go through the roof.
    Totally agree. Have seen the price creep up a bit over the last 5 years buy still quite affordable.  Here's to keeping the price down.....shhhhhhh...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    ^^^ I do custom meat cutting for a living, and by my estimates only one out of every 60 or so cows that we go through actually get a request for flank steak.

Ironically, today is the first day I had to trim a flank for someone in at least two months. I throw that stuff into the trim pile day after day to get ground up into burger 
    X_X
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Flank is a great tasting cut, but it's tough unless thinly sliced.  It is my favorite cut for stir frying.  I slice it thin before putting it in the wok.

Last month, I couldn't find any in the display case at the grocery store.  I told the butcher that I had bought some last week.  He said "so you're the one".  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options

Man that looks so good. We love flank as well. Haven't had a chance to do it yet on the BGE but now I have to after you posted!!

Here is what we usually do with our flank (kind off a reverse sear process but wrapped):

- chop some onion and ginger into thin slices
    - place the flank on foil
    - season both side of the flank with salt and pepper
    - before wrapping the flank in foil, lay some onion/ginger on both side
    - Cook the steak until the IT reach your desired temp. (we like is raw so I usually take it out at 105-110.
    - remove the flank and have a quick sear
    - let it rest for a few minutes and slice it
    - now take the 'juice' and cooked onion/ginger from the foil and spread it on the slices flank

Cheers!!

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

love the flank, here's my secret recipe:

combine in ziplock, i use 2:

fresh juice from 6 lemons

1/4 to 1/2 bottle of soy sauce (big bottle)

2 green onions chopped

1/2 cup of dried thyme ( i get the plastic bags of it on the mexican isle, i use a whole bag)

1 cup of canola oil

marinate for at least 24 hours, 48 preferred

cook hot and fast, let rest, slice thin against the grain. caution: highly addictive

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    ^^^ I do custom meat cutting for a living, and by my estimates only one out of every 60 or so cows that we go through actually get a request for flank steak.

Ironically, today is the first day I had to trim a flank for someone in at least two months. I throw that stuff into the trim pile day after day to get ground up into burger 
    X_X

Really interesting.  If they only knew...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

Last month, I couldn't find any in the display case at the grocery store.  I told the butcher that I had bought some last week.  He said "so you're the one".  
    :))
    That's funny, I wonder if my local grocery store keeps a couple out because I buy one every week!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Tixunau said:

Here is what we usually do with our flank (kind off a reverse sear process but wrapped):

- chop some onion and ginger into thin slices
    - place the flank on foil
    - season both side of the flank with salt and pepper
    - before wrapping the flank in foil, lay some onion/ginger on both side
    - Cook the steak until the IT reach your desired temp. (we like is raw so I usually take it out at 105-110.
    - remove the flank and have a quick sear
    - let it rest for a few minutes and slice it
    - now take the 'juice' and cooked onion/ginger from the foil and spread it on the slices flank

Cheers!!

mwraulst said:

2 green onions chopped

1/2 cup of dried thyme ( i get the plastic bags of it on the mexican isle, i use a whole bag)

1 cup of canola oil

cook hot and fast, let rest, slice thin against the grain. caution: highly addictive

Interesting recipes.  Will have them a shot...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Somebody on here said they pounded flank before marinating it. Whoever that was speak up and all credit goes to you. I tried it last time and I'm sold so much tenderer than ever before. Love flank steak!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    in the 1980s the Japanese discovered skirt steak and the price doubled.  I started using flank for fajitas when skirt became scarce.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Flap steak is much better for fajitas than flank steak, IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Best fajita meat IMHO is hanger.
    Options
    mwraulst said:

2 green onions chopped

1 cup of canola oil

What surface are you grilling this on? Steel? Regular SS grate?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio