Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest problem?

Options
GrandeUovoVerde
GrandeUovoVerde Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hello from the UK!
                           I took delivery of my pre-assembled large BGE yesterday and was really looking forward to using it over the weekend when I noticed something unusual.

The Egg was tilting both front to back and left to right as you look at it, such that that the Egg wasn't actually touching 2 of the supporting struts! 

At first I couldn't work out why this was happening but by comparing my set up to pictures of the same configuration on web I could see that two of the lower struts on the nest (it has a handler attached to it) were bent (one on each side) wit one of them quite badly bent . This appeared to explain why everything was tilting.

Anyway I've sent BGEUK pictures of this and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I'm hoping they'll offer to replace it although it'll mean I'll have to go through the hassle of disassembling it and shipping it back. If they won't I I will have to find a metal work shop to straighten the struts out for me.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

All the best

Tony

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    That needs to be replaced, that is dangerous!!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    Yep it needs to be fixed, Just take it apart and straighten it. Easy fix. But on the other hand I would make BGEUK replace it. New things should NOT be this way. But if it is a big hassle I would just fix it myself.

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I'd be afraid it would make the Egg top heavy and could cause it to topple and then you have major issues. If it were me id get a buddy and take the egg out for safety sake JMHO
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

The single bend arm can be sent and replaced.  You can take the Egg out of the nest and replace the bent arm yourself.  I think you could cook on it as is though, I would not move it around too much in this condition.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GrandeUovoVerde
    GrandeUovoVerde Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys for your thoughts. Interestingly on the Fathers Day tour of garden centres perusing BBQ tools, I happened upon a KAMADO JOE CLASSICJOE and their nest solution (a metal basket on wheels) struck me as far more elegant and secure! Does anyone know if a LBGE would fit in a classic Joe nest? Tony
  • GrandeUovoVerde
    Options
    Result! New nest + handler on the way, now just got to figure out how to take everything apart & assemble new Nest. Think I'll need an extra pair of hands to help me transfer the Egg!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I transferred my XL into my new challenger cart by myself. I took to dome off and took the internal out and it wasn't bad. 

Glad you got the news you wanted!!!! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Nothing like a Pot Lifter and a buddy to move a large.

Piece of cake!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon