Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft door liquid

Options
Ist time poster. Love the info I have learned from the forrum. Here's my question. I've done several overnight cooks, briskets and pork butts ect. The past several I noticed a pooling of liquid in the draft door tracks. Enough to drip to the pavement below and leave a small stain. At first I thought it was drippings going down the side, but I have changed the orientation of the adjustable rig and it still dripped on the last cook. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Do you use a drip pan to collect the drippings?  I use a disposable aluminum pan set on a few ss nuts placed directly on the placesetter.  Never had an issue like you described.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    Do you use a drip pan with liquid in it? Mine does the same thing. I think condensation from drip pan of apple juice.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I've seen the same thing. I use a drip pan but do not put any liquid in it. If it's not drippings from your meat then I would guess condensation from moisture released from your meat.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I do use a drip pans, to catch the drippings, not full of liquid. I thought it may be condensation, however, it's a good amount, and it didn't happen in the past. Actually, I need a new gasket and I would think if it were condensation, the lack of a good seal would allow some moisture to escape. Maybe it is, put the bottom :-)
  • andy_cenTX
    andy_cenTX Posts: 15
    Options

I have the same issue with low and slow cooks. I'm trying to recall, but I'm nearly certain it happens with and without the use of a drip pan. In fact, many times when I take my DigiQ fan out of the draft door adapter there is some liquid in the tube part, which is slightly concerning. I've noticed the liquid is very thin..water like. I've assumed it was condensation.
    Round Rock, TX
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Thanks Andy. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've had the egg for almost two years, and this is a recent occurrence. Incidentally, I have a PartyQ and the first time I used it I made ribs. After only 4 hours it too had liquid in the tube. I'm sure there will be Some in it when I take the butts off later today. Have you noticed any performance issues with the digiQ?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Learning_to_Smoke... 2 years... 4 posts?!? Now that we know you're out there you'll be expected to participate on a more regular basis.  [-X
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have the same problem as Andy with my digiQ. It has gotten enough greasy drippings that I can't adjust the opening on the fan until it has gotten hot. Glad I'm not alone.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Texas of the North, point heard and taken. So, how to attach pics from my iPad? :-)
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    Texas of the North, point heard and taken. So, how to attach pics from my iPad? :-)

It is pretty easy actually. If you have an iPad with a camera just take the pics with that. When you are creating a new post right below the text box there is a link to attach a file. Select that link and it will walk you through uploading the pic. When they upload you will see small thumbnail pics. If you select the pic it will give you another option to insert the picture into the actual text box. It will insert it wherever the cursor is at that time. Hope this helps.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I wonder if this could be caused by ambient humidity (weather conditions) , if it has just recently became an issue.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

It is pretty easy actually. If you have an iPad with a camera just take the pics with that. When you are creating a new post right below the text box there is a link to attach a file. Select that link and it will walk you through uploading the pic. When they upload you will see small thumbnail pics. If you select the pic it will give you another option to insert the picture into the actual text box. It will insert it wherever the cursor is at that time. Hope this helps.
    Hey, if an Aggie can do it then anyone can!  :))
    Options

I have the same problem as Andy with my digiQ. It has gotten enough greasy drippings that I can't adjust the opening on the fan until it has gotten hot. Glad I'm not alone.

It's the moisture in the egg from the cook. It's why your daisy wheel gets gunky. When I pull my fan out I can pour a little gtt'ings out of it. Your on track with condensation from the cook. The egg will as sweat this out sometimes.

Not my egg

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    If you live in a relatively soupy place, dew points around 70, it's the same moisture as what collects on your cars parked outside. The dew collects in the track. I've had it happen on all my overnights since about March. When it's dryer in the winter, not so much.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • andy_cenTX
    andy_cenTX Posts: 15
    Options

Thanks Andy. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've had the egg for almost two years, and this is a recent occurrence. Incidentally, I have a PartyQ and the first time I used it I made ribs. After only 4 hours it too had liquid in the tube. I'm sure there will be Some in it when I take the butts off later today. Have you noticed any performance issues with the digiQ?

I haven't noticed any issues with the DigiQ fan yet, but I do make sure to position it so that the fan is on the high side of the tube. Fingers crossed..
    Round Rock, TX
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    My digiQ tube has water/condensation in it after long cooks too. Freaked me out at first but doesn't seem to cause any harm so far.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    have the same issue  as you both , next low and slow when you take the fan out try cleaning the slide thats what i've been doing and i have no more sticking problems i use a little cooking oil to clean and lube it .just wipe it dry once your done cleaning 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options

Well I tried on my iPad, however, when I select attach a file, nothing happens.  Any other ideas? Got plenty of pics on the iPad, but no way to get to them. I am technologically challenged.  My 7 year old could probably teach me. 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    bigphil said:
    have the same issue  as you both , next low and slow when you take the fan out try cleaning the slide thats what i've been doing and i have no more sticking problems i use a little cooking oil to clean and lube it .just wipe it dry once your done cleaning 
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a shot.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options

Well I tried on my iPad, however, when I select attach a file, nothing happens.  Any other ideas? Got plenty of pics on the iPad, but no way to get to them. I am technologically challenged.  My 7 year old could probably teach me. 

Do you have parental controls set up on your iPad? Maybe it has something to do with that.
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    No parental control set up. Maybe because I haven't updated the software, because I'm adding this pic with my iPhone. The reward of last night's cook. imageimage
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Yum.
    MBGE in Charleston