Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for Fathers Day

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I am going to cook a prime rib for fathers day.  I have cooked them before indirect @ 350.

They have come out good but missing some more flavor.  I have usually just used salt/pepper.

Should I put any sort of rub on instead?  I have DP Cow Lick, Red Eye Express, Tsunami and Ragging River.  I have Chicago street from Perzies as well (great for steak).  If I use Cow lick - Should I use allot? 

Shove garlic inside? 

Planning on fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs all over as well.

I am getting the bones cut off but tied to the roast.  Bone side up/down - dont matter?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited June 2013
    Options

i would use kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and some fresh rosemary.  Pull the bones back and season behind them then tie back on.  I go bones down for some added insulation but doubt it makes much difference indirect.  i would let the meat speak and not use any rubs but that's personal choice.  FWIW-regardless gonna be great eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm in the salt and pepper only camp.  And I'd cook it at as low a temp as you can maintain, maybe a little oak if you want some smoke, but I just go straight lump.

Buy some beef consomme for the au jus - add any juice you get from carving it.  And a horseradish sauce is a requirement.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Agree with what has been said. You may want to cook it at a lower temp as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQFlowerBasket
    Options
    I third.  I cook at a lower temp with minimal seasoning. Salt and pepper.  Although I have in the past shoved a bunch of garlic cloves in between the bone and meat.  Unnecessary... but pretty unreal delicious. I think the prime rib purist would probably disagree though.  I don't usually do it that way.  Also I cook bone down.  Another thing I do some times if I am doing a real small one, like 2 or 3 bones, is to sear it before roasting.  Seems like it locks the juice in a little better.  The down side is you then have to cool the egg back down.  
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Slow down dude!!!
    280ºF with Red Eye 
    128ºF in the centre
    135º on the Edges

This was a 17lbs beast!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    OK - I can go lower temp.  ~250?  How long per lb then?  I think we got a 4 ribber.  Just want an idea on when to put it on.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Roughly 25 minutes per pound at 250* That only applies if the length and diameter are approximately equal or shorter. If it is longer it will be less.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    This was the best Prime Rib I have cooked so far. Took about 25 minutes per pound for this 5 pounder. I could have cooked it lower but we were hungry...

Johns Creek, Georgia