Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct or Indirect pork butts

Options
Canuck
Canuck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this might get a lot of different answerws but do you all recommend cooking pork butts over a platesetter and drip pan with a V-rack, or just in the V-rack on the grill. [p]Thanks[p]Canuck

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Canuck,[p]Indirect is the way to go on such a long cook. A plate setter works great for this kind of set up. I don't use a vee rack though.[p]Here is my link for some general information.[p]Happy Trails[p]~thirdeye~
    [p]

[ul][li]Pork Shoulder[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Canuck,
    I did 2 this weekend, indirect with a drip pan and with my V rack on the grill. Turned out perfect!!![p]I've found that I like one big chunk of hickory and 1 chunk of cherry.[p]And those butts took 15 hours and I still had a ton of Wicked Good left for the next day to cook brats, etc. Didn't even need to fill it up again. Gotta get some more Wicked Good.[p]Good luck!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Canuck,
    Cooking 4 butts as we speak; indirect. I always cook butts/shoulders indirect. Using a platesetter on the XL for the first time; generally use firebricks with a 22" raised grid.
    Hammer