Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do brisket a day in advance?

Options
A neighbor wants me to do a brisket for a party on Saturday evening.  The problem is I'm not available to do start it on Friday or Saturday, so I'd need to begin it on Thursday.  Do I cook it, double foil & towel wrap and let it sit in a cooler for a couple of hours then take it out to let it cool?   Or is it safe double foil/towel wrapped and coolered for 24 hours?  Any advice would be great.  My primary concern is food safety, flavor/juiciness is secondary.

Comments

• MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options
    I'd say you have to refrigerate and reheat for food safety purposes.
    Chester County, PA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    +1. 24 hours is probably too long with refrigeration.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    MattyMc said:

I'd say you have to refrigerate and reheat for food safety purposes.

I agree. You are asking for problems holding it that long. Just reheat it very slowly uncovered in an oven. Foiling ruins the bark.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No to 24 hours. Pushing it over 4 to 6 max.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texves
    texves Posts: 17
    Options
    Ok then.  Do I let it sit wrapped up in the cooler for the typical 2 hours, then unwrap and let it cool before putting it in the fridge?  I've heard that putting hot meat in the fridge is a bad idea. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have a foodsaver, put it in a bag, suck out the air and dump it in an ice bath.  To reheat, put it in a big pot of hot water.  Do not cut it until you're ready to serve!

Foodsaver makes big bags with wings that will hold a brisket no problem.
    Let it cool uncovered to crisp up your bark. Put in the refrigerator at room temp. You just dont want it to sweat in the fridge.