Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a bread recipe

CharlieTN
CharlieTN Posts: 177
I really want to bake some bread on Sunday afternoon.  I need a good recipe for I guess what they call artisan bread, you know the kind that sits nicely in a pretty little ball on the baking stone.  I had picked up a box of bread mix from the store that had the greatest picture of bread like I wanted but when I mixed it up following their directions to the letter it left me with a oozing mass that would have been better suited for a loaf pan.  Made some good flat bread but I don't want flat bread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Charlie

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If this is what you want, and you have a lidded dutch oven, give this recipe a try. Very simple, very good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @Charlie TN the kaf site gas some I haven't tried any yet but hoping to soon
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I second the motion for mixing up a bread like this and cooking it in a dutch oven or other roasting pot with a lid.  I started with the NY Times no knead bread recipe and have modified it slightly over the years and added variations like sour dough, rye, cheese, etc.

The bread comes out with a crispy crust and a great texture.  It is very easy to make.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive made bread bowls for bisque with this recipe, real simple but takes all day with the rising. when baking in the egg you want to put a steel pan under the stone to flash water during the beginning of the cook
    http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2008/08/06/pain-ordinaire-careme-a-daily-loaf/

setup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    One thing on the DO "camp bread" method... I found that, when using a large DO, the dough tended to flatten out a bit so the bread is less of a boule shape. Not a flatbread, but not a boule either. Found a smaller DO (8" top diameter, 4" deep) that I prefer. Others don't seem to have that issue, but for me, the smaller DO works better.

Also, when you're mixing the dough, whether in a bowl or a zip-lock, be SURE to mix it well. I didn't once and there were hard clumps of raw flour here and there in the finished boule. Oops. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CharlieTN
    I do have a dutch oven so might have to try this.  

Thanks
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    No knead bread is a huge phenomenon...you can bake in the egg or oven, all you need is a dutch oven.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?_r=0

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
    ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1¼ teaspoons salt
    Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

I've made probably around 20 loaves and it's (nearly) foolproof.  And makes some of the best bread you'll ever eat.
    edited June 2013

I bake bread every few weeks.  7-10 loaves at a time and freeze.  My recipe is in bakers percentages, which makes it very repeatable and adjustable.  Anyway, a pic:

and a recipe:

100% Flour (50% AP/50% Caputo 00) 

64% Water

.5% IDY

1.5% Salt

1.5% Brown Sugar

2%-3% Olive Oil

Easy directions

Mix all wet ingredients and mix all dry ingredients then mix dry with wet.  Once it is incorporated let it stand for 15 minutes.  Then knead in mixer for 4-5 minutes or do knead by hand/ stretch and fold until smooth.   Shape into a large ball, place in a large oiled container and let rise in the fridge (18-48 hours)  I normally make 425 gram loaves +- and shape like footballs.  Pam cookie sheets and place 2 - 3 loaves on each sheet and let rise for 2-4 hours covered with a moist dish towel.  Set oven to 475* to preheat.  Score the top of the loaves prior to putting in the oven and I sprinkle the top with water for steam.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  I use a probe thermometer and take them out when 200* +-. 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    If this is what you want, and you have a lidded dutch oven, give this recipe a try. Very simple, very good.

Got a batch waiting for supper tonight to go with the brisket that is on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • CharlieTN
    I've made probably around 20 loaves and it's (nearly) foolproof.  And makes some of the best bread you'll ever eat.
    Sounds like what I need (foolproof that is).  
  • Melhill3
    Melhill3 Posts: 41
    I use the NYT no knead as a starting point but I like a larger loaf so here are my # 645 grams flour ( I use 320gr whole wheat, 325 bread flour) 12 g salt 1.5 g dry yeast 520 g water Mix all together and let sit covered for 12 to 18 hours Dump on to a floured counter and form into a ball Cover and let rest for 2 hrs. Reshape bell and place on parchment (makes it easier to move) Cover for 15 min and then cook in the egg as high in the dome as you can On a pre heated pizza stone. Dome temp 450 Takes about 45 min.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Easy and simple... Flour, water, salt and sourdough starter. 500 grams of Bread flour... 200 grams of sourdough starter... 300 grams of water... 11 grams of salt... Make water hot enough to make the mixed dough be at 80 degrees at the end of the mixing process. Bake at 500 degrees under a roasting pan or mixing bowl for 2/3 of the bake. Then take the pan off and reduce the heat to 465 for the rest of the cook. When the loaf is the color you want... It is done! http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8991726160/