Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried out the baking steel tonight.

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Did 5 pies and a calzone. By far the best was 650*, the others were lower and egg wouldn't get any hotter. This was Asiago, mozzarella, Fontina, caramelised onions, bacon, bocconcini and duck breast.

photo DSC_0075-Copy.jpg

photo DSC_0078-5.jpg

Pretty good all in all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That pie looks like gooey deliciousness.

How high in the dome did you cook it? i need to work on getting mine higher up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

YOU!! put duck breast on your pizza ^:)^

Brilliant!!

I am all over that one

:D

Shane

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Mmmm Looks great!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Looks really good Steve!  I've had mine for three weeks and still haven't broken it's cherry.  Did you find it to be radically different from a stone?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks and sounds good Steven.  Now, if I can chime in on the materials science....

Thermal conductivity is moderate with stone, much higher with cast iron and higher still with steel.  So the steel will cook the dough faster than any of the other common surfaces.  It looses it's heat faster so you have to "recharge" it between cooks, but you can do that by modulating the amount of direct heat it gets.

I have a buddy that does metal work...I need to see if he can spare some thick plate...I'd love to have one.  I usually cook pizzas three or four times a month. 
    Options

@nola, yes I know about the materials, of course my business is heating steel. I messed up on the diameters so I will also get a piece cut. I have a cast iron pan and liked it for occasional use.

@caliking, AR, grid, indirect piece, copper tees and steel.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Looks really good Steve!  I've had mine for three weeks and still haven't broken it's cherry.  Did you find it to be radically different from a stone?

Mike

Mike,

I didn't cook it as hot as I do pies on the ceramic stone. I usually go 700* to 800* on the stone. I did the first one at about 400* on this one and still got a good crunch crust. As I got hotter, it seemed that the pies got fluffier and came out really well coloured on the top with great crust. Of course the beer count was going up too. Youngest son made his own and he said it was the best he had had. He played 9 holes after work so there were very few beers clouding his perception.

Steve 

Caledon, ON