Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The moment you overcook your dinner

Options
Last night I made some tri tip one was about 1.5 lb and then he sliced the other for me to get it to be a total between the 2 about 2.25 lbs.  Anyhow, I pulled at like 137 because my family doesn't like it truly medium rare but when I sliced it after letting rest for about 10 minutes it certainly was closer to medium well than medium.

Had pictures of the entire prep and then sliced it and nope not taking pictures...It was still fantastic as this stores Tri Tip is so tender to begin with but I was disappointed.  Haven't noticed a problem with my maverick and temp reading at all but who knows....
Large BGE

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Probably gained ten to twelve degrees during the rest --  so that puts it above medium.  I used to do this all the time with my pork chops, but i now stay on the "LOW" side of the spectrum -- rather "rare" than "well"!
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    There's a pretty significant temperature rise during the rest whenever I do steak on the Egg.  Pulling at 137, I'd expect my final temp to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 145-150.  If I was aiming for medium, I'd probably try to pull around 125.  My wife likes her steak rare/medium rare, so I tend to pull at 115ish (when I'm by myself, I usually Pittsburgh it, although the thread on mechanical tenderizing has given me a little pause there).  Just my two cents.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Yeah, I've never had that significant of a rise before....

It was still good and juicy just over where I like it cooked....
    Large BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The rise has a lot to do with the temp you're cooking at and the shape of the food.  Cooking something round like a bowling ball has less rise than something shaped like a plank.  Cooking at low temps gives you less of a rise than cooking at high.