Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt nearing end..

Options
All,

New to the forum - I have a 6 pound butt in my egg, that I put in at about 3am (so almost 15 hours ago). Have a CyberQ wifi and the temp held pretty steady at 225 until about an hour ago. The problem now is that my grate temp is at 215 and even with the daisy wheel off and the fan blowing at 100%, I can't seem to get the grate temp up.

The butt is reading an internal temp of 192 right now. Any recommendations on a way to raise the grate temp so I can push this thing down the line to 200 internal? should i take out my woo/setter/drip pan/grate/butt and stir charcoal? add more? 

I hope this turns out ok :)

Comments

• Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    Options
    Prolly need to add some lump.....

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited June 2013
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking. You're running out of fuel.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds like you didn't start with enough lump and the fire has had it. Would be my guess anyway. You could crank up the oven to and finish in there (at this point, it wan't hurt the butt at all), but since you're almost done anyway, the 215° should do it. If you add more lump, you have to wait until that nasty smoke clears. If 215 doesn't do it, use the oven.

It'll be fine. Hard to screw up a butt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    IIt'll be fine. Hard to screw up a butt

agree with Carolina except...

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • miguelramosv
    Options
    Thanks all! :)

Glad I bought that PSWoo, makes taking everything out and checking the lump so easy.

So all the lump on the grate was finished, there was some lump left on the sides.. stirred that up and added a bit more, and used my MAPP torch to relight. Then I put everything back in.

So I've set the cyberq grate temp a bit higher.. up to 240. Hopefully that gets me to the end zone soonish :)

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Bump it up to 3-350°. will finish quicker and won't hurt a thing. Hopefully, that smoke won't either. The higher temp will be fine.

Next time, load the lump about halfway up the fire ring.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• miguelramosv
    Options
    Bump it up to 3-350°. will finish quicker and won't hurt a thing. Hopefully, that smoke won't either. The higher temp will be fine.

Next time, load the lump about halfway up the fire ring.
    I had the lump loaded all the way to the ring! shall i try going further next time?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I had the lump loaded all the way to the ring! shall i try going further next time?
    Might be the brand of lump you're using. Some burns faster than others. Pretty sure the pic below was Wicked Good. Butt took about 18 hours. the center pic was what it looked like the next morning after the fire was out. The pic on the right was after stirring for the next cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• miguelramosv
    Options
    Might be the brand of lump you're using. Some burns faster than others. Pretty sure the pic below was Wicked Good. Butt took about 18 hours. the center pic was what it looked like the next morning after the fire was out. The pic on the right was after stirring for the next cook.

Definitely seems like less was consumed. I'm using royal oak... I do have a high-q grate though
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RO burns faster than WG. Not sure the hi-q would make a difference. If you have it stabilized at whatever temp, air is coming in through the CyberQ and the fire grate shouldn't matter.

That said, I have used RO lots of times for butts (stock grate) and have never had a problem. There is always less lump left at the end though. Just go halfway up the fire ring with RO next time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• williamadamsesq
    williamadamsesq Posts: 155
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Same thing happened to me on my first butt today. I'm used to 6 hour cooks not 12. Just added more and foiled an hour earlier than planned, when I added the additional lump.