Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Apple BBQ Today!

Options
Www.bigapplebbq.org Will post pictures this afternoon.

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Hope the weather holds for you and the BBQ is great. I'm always disappointed by the local stuff, so haven't been in awhile. I think the last place I went to was Dinosaur BBQ on 125th St. Thought it was good, but not great. But I'm an optimist, and look forward to the day that NY style BBQ is mentioned along with Texas, Carolina and Memphis. In the meantime we'll just have to console ourselves with all those Lombardi Trophies :))
    Mamaroneck
  • phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    Options
    Totally agree - local stuff isn't great. But this is the one time per year that they heavy hitters come into town!

I'll be visiting these pits today:

Mike Mills - Memphis Championship BBQ

Chris Lilly - Big Bob Gibsons

Checkered Pig

Salt Lick

Ubon's BBQ
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Didn't realize that. May have to make my way over. The kids can watch their own damn lacrosse games today!
    Mamaroneck
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What is ny style bbq?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    henapple said:
    What is ny style bbq?
    Most of the BBQ places here do variations on other regions' BBQ.  Some places, like Virgil's near Times Square try to do all regions.  Naturally, none of them are great.  But they are generally getting better each year.  Still, speaking for myself, anything I make on the egg comes out better than even the best places in the NY metro area.  That's not saying much though, and I'm sure anyone else who lives in the northeast and has an egg could say the same thing.

I lived in Memphis for a while and have family in Texas, so get my fix of great commercial BBQ once in a while.  Makes a good target for our home cooked stuff!

If there was a NY style BBQ, I assume it would be a mish-mash of caribbean, puerto rican (pernil) and asian flavors.  Lots of places are trying this, but I don't think any have quite nailed it yet. Others should feel free to chime in, cause I'd be happy to drive from the tip of Long Island and up through CT to find good 'cue around here. 
    Mamaroneck
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    My boys from Southern Soul are on The Skyline Inn Truck along with the Fox Bros from Atl
  • phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    Options
    Here are some photos - had a great time and I may not be able to eat for the rest of the day. Or at least not for a few hours :P. Big Bob Gibson's pork butt was incredible and so were Checkered Pig ribs. There was a place call Jim 'N Nicks bbq that had smoked sausage and pimiento cheese (awesome!).

Unfortunately I didn't get any great brisket there. Had some from Hill Country - local place - because the line for Salt Lick was too long. But it wasn't that great. 

Hoping next year someone shows up with a few eggzillas!