Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Stopped at kroger for ribs and since most lump companies are out thought I'd check to see what they had. Fire and Flavor... And John Wayne. Wth?

On a side note I have 14 bags of Ozark Oak left... Na Na a boo boo.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The fire and flavor at my Kroger is way overpriced and it sucks.  It is in a skinny 5 lb bag and it was over $5.  It's like one good load!  (TWSS). 

Hmmm...John Wayne is made by the same company!

Do they have Kroger brand lump?  It is not bad- rumor has it that it is Royal Oak. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    They were both around $1.25 per pound... Yeah right.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

The local Kroger has the Kroger house brand and it is made by Royal Oak.  Runs around $6/8.8#'s. Last couple of months the lump has gone down hill.  Mostly small pieces with lots of shake and dust. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The John Wayne my Kroger Carries are briquettes.

Me: "John Wayne? SWEET! The Duke has his own lump... Briquettes? That sux!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    It said lump... But I didn't stick around pilgrim.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    i tried kroger brand lump some time ago when they had a half-off sale. i dont remember it being bad.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    I have 6 bags of Ozark Oak left. But for two nights I have spotted Travis at night in my yard dressed in a jockstrap and night vision goggles. I am keeping my garage door locked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey said:
    I have 6 bags of Ozark Oak left. But for two nights I have spotted Travis at night in my yard dressed in a jockstrap and night vision goggles. I am keeping my garage door locked.
    What's the jockstrap for? Your poodle must be much more vicious than mine...
  • henapple
    Mickey said:

That mini must not take much fuel....
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    The Kroger house brand lump is very good.  Last year about this time, it went on sale for half price - about $3.29 for a 8.8 pound bag.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple said:

It said lump... But I didn't stick around pilgrim.

Maybe the duke makes briquettes and lump? They said briquettes at my Kroger.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Did you try the Maple Leaf yet Fred?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The "Kroger" one is fine, cheap price. The fire and flavor will burn but is priced higher than my other options.

I always feel like a loser when I post a serious comment now...

XLBGE 
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    The "Kroger" brand does it take a long time for the bad smoke to clear once you get the lump started really good?
  • Did you try the Maple Leaf yet Fred?

I'm looking forward to a free night. I haven't lit any egg since I've been back. Meetings, Dr. appts & resting my bum foot. Doc bawled me out for all the walking last weekend. Totally worth it!

I got some old lump in the egg to burn tonight. I want a completely fresh load so I can have a good look. Sunday looks perfect! I promise to let you know.
    Flint, Michigan