Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To egg or not this weekend....

Options

I am throwing a party this weekend.  Im fairly green when it comes to egging.  Ive smoked 3 or 4 sets of ribs and one pork butt on the egg.  They all came out ok but not great but it was no big deal as I was only cooking for myself. This weekend I was going to use my Weber smokey mountain to do a 8-9 pound butt because everytime ive used my wsm, it has turned out great.  However, I want to eventually sell the wsm and use only the egg.  Convince me why I should take the risk at making another mediocre butt on the egg when I KNOW it will come out great on the wsm.  Im worried ill embarrass myself if the food is bad!  Or should I just use the wsm?

Also, I was thinking of doing the pork on my wsm but maybe making some apps on the egg.  Any appetizer recommendations? 

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options

Option 1 do a butt on both for comparison.

Option 2 apps on the BGE, wings, ABT's, Sea Turtle Eggs, Armadillo Eggs, chicken bombs.

I'm sure others will chime in with some great ideas.

Don't forget the adult beverages for the BBQ Master.

Edina, MN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Options
    What is it that you found that made your egged butts only "ok"?  I have never owned a WSM or cooked on one, but I have eaten food from them and they make some good Q. 

I can't imagine why you can't turn out butts as good or better on the egg.  The egg will retain more moisture and hold the temp better.  The only advantage I can see to the WSM is you can easily add wood throughout the cook; so perhaps you can get more smoke flavor. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

When I did the butt on the egg, it was a little dry.  I think it was due to not foiling it for the stall like I always have on the WSM.  Also, I cant seem to get any smoke flavor in anything I cook on the egg.  (see this thread....   http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1344691/#Comment_1344691)

I will say, I haven't sold my wsm yet because it has turned out some amazing food and it is soooooo easy to use but I love the versatility of the egg.

• chris123stock
    Options
    To egg or not? Not a question for me, EGG. Indo like the option of comparison,  go for that.  :)>-
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ditch the chimney and do it on the egg. Forget about foiling unless it is done way early. You will get more bark, more juicy PP and a great smoky flavour. Make your apps on the weber

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• selmarichard
    Options
    One of the first thing we did after using the BGE was to give away our SSBBQ. We haven't looked back. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Just turbo a couple of butts on your egg -- enjoy a good meal -- and know it's good!!  Yes, you turned out dome good BBQ on the weber, but on the egg it is natural.  I have two Webers here, just for looks.. 
  • busmania
    Options

If I were to do it on the egg and used some sort of "water pan" to keep it from getting too dry, what should I put in the pan instead of water?  Coke?  Vinegar?  Apple juice?

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dry drip pan spaced off the platesetter. Liquid will make the cook soggy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @-) dry?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I would not use a water pan at all. Drip pan yes, liquid no. No need to foil at all (until rest time) unless you are going to turbo. I smoke heavy early and then no more. Smoke flavor is usually fantastic. Go for the gusto. I would be willing to bet you will impress yourself and your guests. Egged pork is pretty dang hard to beat.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @-) dry?
    Ya Mon! The environment is humid enough already.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If you have to ask then you already know the answer
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • busmania
    edited June 2013
    Options

ok, I did not use a drip pan last time.  Maybe that was part of the issue.  I think you all have convinced me to live on the edge and egg it up.  I knew posting here would be biased (I think deep down I just needed a little persuasion). 

If only I could make a good butt on the egg I could finally get rid of my wsm.  But I still LOVE my WSM!

• Little Steven
    Options
    You did use a platesetter?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• busmania
    Options
    yes, I used a platesetter.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If it was dry, then I can only guess perhaps you cooked the butt too long and drove out too much moisture.  If you want to foil them on the egg you can...I use foil if I am going hotter.  I have cooked many a butt to 195ish and then FTC'd and they literally pour out juice when I pull them.  I did have one butt turn out dry early on, and I think I cooked it for too long.  I was wanting to see it hit 205 or so and using a cheap thermo and I think I kept cooking it for an hour after it was ready to pull.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Keep the weber and dump the egg. I'd be more than willing to help a brother out by getting it out of your yard.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • busmania
    Options
    So glad I took the risk and did it on the egg! Pork turned out awesome. Thanks everyone. Pictures later.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Follow up questions

Should I have sex this weekend?
    Should I finish off a case of PBR?
    Should I crack open the Woodford?
    Should I sneak 2 beers in the shower?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    henapple said:

Follow up questions

Should I have sex this weekend?
    Should I finish off a case of PBR?
    Should I crack open the Woodford?
    Should I sneak 2 beers in the shower?

Only answer that applies...

Duh!!!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    henapple said:
    Follow up questions Should I have sex this weekend? Should I finish off a case of PBR? Should I crack open the Woodford? Should I sneak 2 beers in the shower?

I think you will be fine on all counts as long as your wife doesn't find out.