Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2.34 lbs Cowboy Cut Ribeye (pics)

OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

Last nights cook. 3-4 inches thick.  Reverse sear.  I wished I had cooked it at 300 rather then 400 before the sear. The edges were medium-well.  Never cooked anything like that before. I'll be honest, too much meat for just me. I shared it with my wife.

***For scale purposes, that's a MBGE.

imageimageimage

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    ^:)^

Man you suck and I love you all at the same time!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

By my calculations, that is a 37oz chunk o' beef.  No shame in sharing that.  Unless you're John Candy, and you're tackling the Old 96'er. 

A cowboy ribeye is scheduled to be my birthday meal on Tuesday.  I'll be going with a slightly smaller version though...about 1.5lbs.  I will not be sharing it, but I doubt I'll finish it in one sitting.

What internal temp did you cook to before you seared it? How long at 400?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Oh yeah- that's nice!!!
  •  

SaltySam said:

By my calculations, that is a 37oz chunk o' beef.  No shame in sharing that.  Unless you're John Candy, and you're tackling the Old 96'er. 

A cowboy ribeye is scheduled to be my birthday meal on Tuesday.  I'll be going with a slightly smaller version though...about 1.5lbs.  I will not be sharing it, but I doubt I'll finish it in one sitting.

What internal temp did you cook to before you seared it? How long at 400?

I usually remove the steak between 115-120, then sear around 600 for 45 seconds to a minute per side until internal temp reaches 135.  It usually heats up 6-8 degrees more while resting.  The wife likes her steak somewhere between medium rare and medium.  Usually it doesn't take all that long to reach 115-120, but that beast was on there a long time.  Probably 15-20 minutes before I pulled it and opened the egg up.  Another note to consider is my steak was still cold when I put it on the egg.  I think a room temperature steak would have improved the cook.  Best of luck on your cowboy ribeye and happy b-day. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL