Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for xl guys

I just got my xl last week and I have cooked a few things (burgers and steaks) and now the wife wants ribs this weekend. I know how to cook ribs so that's not relly the question my. Questions is about setting the cooker upfront smoking. How many places do I light and how to set up to smoke. I have tried looking at you tube but all of the videos on there are for the large and I'm not sure how applicable they are to the xl. I have the plate setter which I'm sure will be needed but what after that

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just the basics.  Load the lump and mix in your wood chips/chunks. You can search these forums for the "Stike Method". Plate setter is a must for indirect low and slows.  Drip pan with an air gap on the platesetter, then grid. If you're using the starter cubes, then I place three of them in a six inch triangle and light.
    Ribs, on the grid, 250-275 til they pass the bend test.  Sauce to your liking. 

Almost fool proof, your wife and you will love them.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    YEMTrey said:
    Just the basics.  Load the lump and mix in your wood chips/chunks. You can search these forums for the "Stike Method". Plate setter is a must for indirect low and slows.  Drip pan with an air gap on the platesetter, then grid. If you're using the starter cubes, then I place three of them in a six inch triangle and light.

^^ Pretty much what he said. 

The way I light mine is slightly different. I light in one place with firestarters that I make. (Cook bacon on a griddle/skillet, soak up grease with paper towels, wad up towels, keep in freezer, use as needed) I light right in the middle, and let it go until the flames stop, put platesetter legs up, and close and get a stable temp. Then add the drip pan with some water, grate and then ribs.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    YEMTrey said:

+1  Don't over think it.  I actually use chunks instead of chips because I feel they burn a little longer.  I have used chips before too.  Don't be afraid to open the dome, lift the grid and plate setter, toss some more chips/chunks in, and shut it back down.  If you do this temp will most definitely drop but leave everything alone.  It will come back.  If you start 'messin' with it after you have achieved your original temp, you will definitely have problems.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• dstrbd488
    dstrbd488 Posts: 66
    I have tried to locate the stike method but I've not had a lot of luck so far but I'll keep looking
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Light the lump in the largest triangle you can with the point closest to your belt buckle.

dump 5-10 large chunks of wood on top. No soaking.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    I light my XL in three places (think triangle)  I like to get the XL up to a nice temp first, then I add pellets (you can get like a 20lb bag for under $18 - and it will last forever).  I used to add chunks the same time I lit the egg but I find I get more flavor adding after its at the temp I want... never waste my time soaking either...
  • If this will be your first time doing a low temp cook, light the egg earlier than you think you need to. It takes me longer to get my XL dialed in at 250-275 than to get it going at 450-475. I usually begin lighting around an hour or so before I plan to put meat on so I can get it going steady.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I thought the thread was about bacon condoms...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    @travisstrick 5-10 chunks how big? I accidentally put 5 once to make ribs and they were painfully oversmoked. I use 2-3 near roughly 3 inch cubes.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    2-3 in size. I may be a wierdo though. I have yet to have anything be too smokey. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 2-3 in size. I may be a wierdo though. I have yet to have anything be too smokey. 
    I tried to do mac n cheese with ribs once. Mix of hickory and cherrywood. That was definitely too smokey. Downright disgusting actually...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

"I may be a wierdo though."

An understatement to be sure.  As you can see there are lots of ways to do it.  In my experience with long cooks on my XL there are 2 key points.

1) Fill up your firebox with a lot of lump.

2) Make sure that at least one of the holes in grate under your lump is wide open for air flow (I clear a spot at the front of my grill).

If I do that I can hold 230 degrees for over 20 hours.

The rest is preference - number of places to start the fire, type of starter, how much wood for smoke, etc.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited June 2013
    This is an section from a post on brisket from Cen-Tex Smoker. He's totally figured it out, especially for low and slow. The key is you have to leave the dome open while it heats up. "The fire: After totally cleaning out the egg, I add the lump. I use only the largest chunks of lump in the bag and I place them in by hand to ensure max airflow. If it's smaller than a deck of cards, I don't put it in my low and slow fires. I do not dump the lump in from the bag so I don't get any small pieces or dust clogging up the airflow. I put the lump to the top of the fire box (to the line between the fire box and ring) and light it. I let it burn for 30 minutes or so until all the lump is glowing and starting to turn white (it's really hot by this time). I then add 3-4 fist size pieces of of whatever wood you like to use (I'm partial to Pecan, Oak, Mesquite, or Hickory but this is all personal preference and it's OK to use whatever you like). I then put the plate setter on and then choke the fire down to 225-250 dome temp. I prep the meat while the fire is coming back down to temp. it does not take too long and I find this process makes fires that never go out or lose temp in the night."

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797

Here is how I light and set up my XL for smoking:

1. Load lump (fresh or stir ash out of old and add new). I generally load it to the mid point of the fire ring if I am doing a long cook. For ribs the top of the firebox maybe OK. Err on too much and re-use.

2. I put 1 fire cube in the middle and light it. I open the top and bottom draft completely and leave the lid up.

3. When the coals have lit well, put platesetter and grid on egg, close lid but leave all drafts open.

4. When egg temp hits 225-250 I close the vents half closed. I watch closely and start to dial the temp in here. Adjust drafts down as necessary. You are going to have to get a feel for this.

5. When egg stabilized temp, using hot gloves, lift grid and platesetter and toss wood chips/chunks on coals. Replace everything and put meat on the egg.

6. Temp will recover but watch to be sure the influx of air doesn't push the temp too high,

7. Good luck