Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Third pizza

Options
EggPower
EggPower Posts: 25
Hi all, I'm new here. Just got access today.

Recently purchased a LBGE.

Attaching pic of my third pizza on my egg. Just cheese and half onion. Trying to find the right thickness to slice the mozzarella. All three pies have been amazing, but I have a lot to learn. :)

600 F for approx 10 minutes. I'll never eat pizza out again! 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome @EggPower. Learning is one of the main reasons for being on this site.

When I do pizza we buy a pre-shredded bag of Kraft Italian cheeses similar to this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks TexanOfTheNorth. 

That's what I have used many times in the past with my regular oven. When i told a buddy about the BGE and making pizza he beat me senseless when he heard I didn't use fresh mozz. He is Italian and hails from Brooklyn. lol

So, I'm trying this out and so far really like it. I also put down a layer of shredded Locatelli under the sauce...errm gravy. :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome. I shred my own but I do slice fresh mozz when I use that (which is alaways). If that is hard mozzerella, I would shred it. If its fresh (I can't tell on my phone) slice it about 1/8 inch thick.

Nice looking pie though. Great start to your new life hanging on your back patio smelling like smoke.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Yeah, I suppose for a "purist", packaged shredded cheese is a crime! I do make my own crust and pizza though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Texan... well, I have always used the packaged. I just thought I'd take advice from a friend and try his way. But yeah, I would call him a purist for sure. :)   

Thank you The_Cen-Tex Smoker... it is fresh, so I'll try getting it about 1/8 inch. The Locatelli was hard, and I did shred that. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Welcome aboard and nice looking pie. I avoid the pre-shredded stuff. They add "things" to it to keep it from clumping but also keep it from melting nicely. Just buy a block of cheese and shred it or dump it in a food precessor and let it do the work for you.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I actually slice my fresh mozz at an angle, like mini wedges, when I use it on pizza. I like to have the very thin edge that melts like crazy and starts to caramelize, and also have the thicker portion that is just a shade shy of melting all the way at the end. That might not be the "right" way, but I love the contrasts.

Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing more soon. 

Cheers -
    B_B  
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI