Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday cook ideas?

Options

My birthday is next week and SWMBO said, "What are you making for your birthday dinner?" 

It took a moment to register.  What am I cooking myself for my own birthday?  Something about that sounds wrong.  Shouldn't this be my day? Shouldn't I be served my favorite meal?  Why am I cooking it?  But, it's not like I want anything other than Egged food.  And I'll be damned if someone else is touching the Egg.  Cooking my own birthday meal it is! 

So what should it be?  Objectives are as follows:

1.  Go big. 

2.  Cost and time not factors...to an extent.   

3.  Cooking for 5

4.  Knock the socks off of my father in law (who will be in town for two weeks)

5.  Already on the menu during my father in law's stay:  deep dish pizza, pulled pork, babyback ribs, ABT's (so these are out for birthday meal ideas)

What should it be?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Beef tenderloin or bone-in prime rib! There are plenty of posts on here about how to do it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Or some killer thick dry aged steaks from a butcher.

Garnerville, NY
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

When we were having a big last family meal before marrying off my oldest daughter in April, here was the menu she selected:

Ribeyes with blue cheese chive butter (salted, rested, brushed with tiger sauce and seasoned with montreal steak seasoning, and then cooked up high on ARig and finished with reverse sear on cast iron grate, topped with blue cheese butter)

Grilled Asparagus

Grilled Bread

Grilled Onions

Roasted Smashed Potatoes (Cooks Illustrated recipe)

Here is a link to this dinner with recipes and photos (and if you want to step the ribeyes up even another notch, you can serve on top of the Pioneer Woman's onion/cream/blue cheese gravy--check her website for that recipe)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1314889&catid=1#

PS--I get the whole cooking for yourself thing--time to start working on the menu for what I fix myself for our Father's Day meal--right?

• CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited June 2013
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Or some killer thick dry aged steaks from a butcher.

This is the route I'd take and I just might add in some lobster as RichardFl mentioned :)

For my 45th, I also made my own cake and my own ice-cream, didn't mind as I cook better than my wife!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I will say that the advantage with individual steaks is that it might be easier to get different levels of doneness if, God forbid, someone wants something more than medium rare.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Tomohawk steaks
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Runza and a Valentino's Pizza
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95