Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will you share your BEST pizza dough recipe?

Hibby
Hibby Posts: 606
I typically use store bought dough mix and I'm pretty convinced that's not the best way to go. I want to try my hand at pizza in the egg. What's your recipe for crust? Can you explain the whole method (mixing, resting, proofing if necessary)? Lastly, can you explain the cooking technique? I have a Platesetter and BGE pizza stone. Thanks for your time.
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I think quite a few of us use Serious Eat's New York style dough. You need to plan ahead, because it ferments for at least 24 hours in the fridge. But it can stay as long as five days, so you have a good deal of leeway. I've tried several others, including Cook's Illustrated, but I like this the best. I get more rise in the edge than the pic, but probably because I leave it a bit thicker. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    If you like a  thin crust with a crunchy outside and a little "chewy" on the inside you should try this sourdough recipe (granted, you'll need a sourdough starter to make it):

1 1/2 cup mature starter
    1T Olive Oil
    1t salt
    1 1/2 cup flour

Mix all ingredients until you get a soft dough; adding more starter or flour if necessary. Once kneaded, let the dough rest for about 1/2 an hour before rolling. The above recipe makes enough dough for one 12" pizza.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

This what we use and produces great thin crust - crispy pizza.  The original recipe called for "cake flour" and i didn't have any, so i substituted "King Aurther's Bread Flour", don't know if it made a big difference, but we sure like it!

1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

1    teaspoon sugar

3/4  cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (about 105 degrees)

1   cup cake flour  ( i use King Arther Bread Flour)

1    cup plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

2    tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

In a small bowl, wisk together the yeast,sugar and warm water and let stand until foamy, about five minutes.

In the bowl of a food mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the cake flour, all purpose flour, salt and puls three times.Wisk 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into the yeast mixture.

With the motor running, slowly add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding more.

Pulse the machine 10 to 15 times to knead the dough.  The dough should clean the innsides of the mixing bowl, and will be slightly sticky.

Coat the inside of a large bowl with the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil.

Dust your hands with flour and remove the dough from the mixing bowl.  Form a dough ball and place in the bowl.  Cover the dough bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Divide the dough in half and roll out as directed on the pizza recipe.  Makes two ten inch thin dough pizzas.

PS: rather than flour, corn meal can be used to roll the dough out on. 

Also, i have stored this dough refrigerated for up to a week, and it seems even better?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    That's a great looking pie Charlie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have tried Alton Brown's recipe : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pizza-pizzas-recipe4/index.html.

Results have been good. Its a decent enough recipe to start out with and then tweak as you go along. It definitely worked better after the overnight fermentation vs. proofing for just a few hours. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    We fabricate(roll out), the pie on no stick pizza pans and cook them "in the pan" on top of the ceramic stone at 550 to 600 degrees.  Easier to handle and never sticks(corn meal).  My cooking area is about 100 feet from the house.  One of the last pies, we forgot to put sauce on the pie, didn't realize it until we eatin half of the pie!!  It was very good, didn't need the sauce...???
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63

I find pizza to be way too subjective but do use a similar recipe as Serious Eats NY Style listed above. I just moved to making mine in a food processor.  I'm not 100% sold, but its a lot easier and less mess.

I use King Arthur's All Purpose, good Olive oil, salt and yeast. Rest overnight, but can be made in a pinch quickly.

Key is keep the egg less than 700. Make sauce from scratch, Buy quality cheese. Easy on the toppings. Cornmeal for friction from my peal.

I cook mine for about 4-7 minutes.  There is a temp sweet spot where you can cook the entire pizza and not burn it.  Let cool for a few minutes and cut up.

Always a crown pleaser. 

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    This is my go-to dough! Need to plan ahead but trust me, it's worth it. I raise the grid and heat the egg and pizza stone (use one bought at HomeGoods for $15) up to about 650. Will usually stabilize between 550 and 650. Each pie takes about 10 minutes but just keep an eye til it's done to your liking. I always order pizza "well done" bc I like it crispy.
    Ingredients
    Flour, all purpose or bread, 28 oz (6.5 cups of King Arthur Brand or 6 cups of Gold Medal brand; see note)
    Water, 17.4 oz (cool to room temp) (a little less than 2¼ cups)
    Instant dry yeast, 1 teaspoon
    Salt, 2.5 teaspoons
    Olive oil, 3 teaspoons
    Instructions
    Place water in mixing bowl.
    In a separate bowl, mix salt and yeast into flour
    Combine flour/salt/yeast mixture into water and mix until all the flour has been incorporated.
    After flour has been totally incorporated, add oil and knead for about 4 to 5 minutes (see note)
    Test final dough temperature, which should ideally be between high 70s to low 80s (optional)
    Divide dough into 4 equal pieces (using a digital scale if possible; each ball should weigh 11.5 oz) and place in sealed quart-sized container or freezer bag and refrigerate overnight or up to 72 hours (After much experimenting, I have concluded that I like 3 days best).
    The following day, remove your dough balls within 1 or 2 hours of baking and allow the dough to come to room temperature. (the dough will tend to blister more if the dough has not been allowed to come to room temperature)
    In the meantime, place your pizza stone in oven and preheat at 550 degrees (depending on thickness of your stone and your oven’s power) for at least 1 hour
    Open each dough ball using care not to degas, transfer to a pre-floured pizza peel (or on parchment paper), and top with your favorite sauce, cheese, or other toppings.
    Transfer pizza from peel to oven or slide parchment paper onto preheated pizza pan/stone and bake for 4 to 6 minutes each until browned on top and cheese has melted but not burned.
    Enjoy!
    Notes
    Weighing the flour is *highly* recommended. Using a cup to measure will typically yield inaccurate results, plus different flour brands have different weights If you want to use the dough the next day, knead a little more (slow speed for about 8 to 10 minutes) or if you have time to let the dough rest for 3 days, knead for 4 to 5 minutes, low speed or hand knead.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Thanks for these great ideas. Since purchasing a high end bread machine, I always weigh my ingredients and it provides the most consistent results.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Here's another recipe for a NY style pizza (recipe is for one 14" pizza, but I've included bakers percentages for scaling to other sizes) using a Kitchen Aid mixer w/ dough hook:

279 grams flour (King Arthur Bread) (100%)
    175.5 grams water (63%)
    0.9 grams (.34 tsp) active dry yeast (0.33%)
    4.9 grams (1 tsp) Morton's Kosher Salt (1.75%)
    2.8 grams (.62 tsp) olive oil (1%)

Stir together water, yeast and a pinch of salt, let rest 5-10 minutes until yeast is foamy.  Add remaining ingredients, mix on lowest setting 1-2 minutes until all combined.  Mix on second lowest setting an additional 5-7 minutes, until dough is smoothe; stop mixer every 1-2 minutes to remove built up dough from hook.  Then ball dough, place into oiled bowl, cover with tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours (note, for same day "emergency dough", you can triple the yeast and allow a 2 hour, or until dough has doubled, rise on the counter, no refrigeration needed).

Next day, remove dough from fridge and allow to warm for at least 30 min, up to 2 hours (shorter time = more bubbles in pizza).  Preheat egg at about 550 for at least 1 hour; set up with platesetter legs up, standard grid, BGE grid extender topped with pizza stone (or baking steel). Stretch dough, sauce, top.  Bake for 6 - 10 minutes, turning 180 degrees once about 5 minutes into cook; bake time will depend on various factors and I suggest keeping an eye on the pizza through the top chimney and also peeking under the crust to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.

For more supple dough, you can add vital wheat gluten to the flour mix (6.9g or 2.5tsp; 2.5%) and increase water by about 1.5 tablespoons.

For deep dish, I highly recommend @zippylip's recipe found here - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144692/mushroom-lovers-deep-dish-pizza/p1

Good luck.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range