Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4:35 min Turbo Pulled Pork

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Total time for 7lb turbo pulled pork 4:35 min. This was very good. imageimageimageimage Pulled at 203.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Did Linda make you write those temps on the pen?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks similar to the 5 lb one I did a few weeks ago.  Pulled pork in less then 5 hours is a good thing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    only way to do butts, plus you get to sleep!!!

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd much rather do an all nighter. I enjoy the wife pimp slapping me when the maverick goes off. No, seriously. I go out around 2 am and shut the vents. An hour later.... Pimp slap.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    henapple said:
    I'd much rather do an all nighter. I enjoy the wife pimp slapping me when the maverick goes off. No, seriously. I go out around 2 am and shut the vents. An hour later.... Pimp slap.
    You are starting to be the best egghead!
  • Mickey
    edited June 2013
    """You are starting to be the best egghead!"""
    Now that is a very low bar to shoot for =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Nice man!!

XLBGE 
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    @mickey Did you 250 it to an IT of 165, then foil and do 350 to finish?  I need to do something for an event this wednesday and thought I might have to be up all night.  I would to try this and be half way productive at work that day.  Thanks for the help. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Mickey
    Eggucator said:
    @mickey Did you 250 it to an IT of 165, then foil and do 350 to finish?  I need to do something for an event this wednesday and thought I might have to be up all night.  I would to try this and be half way productive at work that day.  Thanks for the help. 
    TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Nice man!!
    Don't you get no more bright ideas brother. Just sayin. Your slap maybe a tad different.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    You are a rock star.  Looks great.  I will NEVER do an overnight butt.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Mickey,

You have the right color thermapen but where did the graffiti come from?  Food looks great.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Lookin good. I still prefer the overnighter for flavor, but for the savings in time, the turbo butt is hard to beat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    You r the KING!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Yup, only way to cook a butt. I have been all in on turbo for over a year now, thanks to you.
    Glad to see the master still has the touch.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    It's all in what you enjoy-if you want hot&fast then turbo is the cook of choice-If you prefer the low&slow with the attendant protracted adult supervisory beverage time then there you are.  And for the newbies-the end-product of each is different but you should drive each road and make your own choice.  But should you land in the low&slow camp don't tell @Mickey :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Can't beat the amount of moisture in that pulled pork!!  Looks great!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Won't be in Waco till wednesday...hope some is being served for lunch
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mick, IF you got that puppy up to the needle buried level I bet you could do it in less than an hour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    DAMN!!  That pulled pork looks great!  You are the master of the turbo method and yours looks better than any turbo i've seen.  Something tells me you're not sharing all your tricks!  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    @mickey Is that a direct or indirect that you are using?
    planning on using this technique today
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @mickey was cooking indirect for this. A lot of folks (me included) have been skipping the foil because it softens the bark. Your cook will be similar in time if you just cook 350° straight through with no foil IMHO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    kdink said:

@mickey Is that a direct or indirect that you are using?
    planning on using this technique today

Indirect

• Mickey

@mickey was cooking indirect for this. A lot of folks (me included) have been skipping the foil because it softens the bark. Your cook will be similar in time if you just cook 350° straight through with no foil IMHO

Sorry, I am old and slow. NO FOIL, NO FOIL anymore. I changed several months ago and just noticed it was in this old post.
    NO FOIL.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I hope you don't mind me saying... Your butt looks amazing. :D
  • Mickey
    Dyal_SC said:

I hope you don't mind me saying... Your butt looks amazing. :D

Please pass on to my wife :)]

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    For us newbies, can you do an overnight cook without any external temp controllers on a LBGE?
    I'd like to try it if it ever stops snowing...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You certainly can. Once you get the egg dialed in to temp and let it stabilize for a hr or so you should be good. I have to admit that I haven't done an overnighter in a while since I learned to Turbo my butts. I really like my sleep so I would rather get up early and cook a bit hotter than cooking during the night.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Chowman said:

For us newbies, can you do an overnight cook without any external temp controllers on a LBGE?
    I'd like to try it if it ever stops snowing...

For damn sure you can. I don't own any anymore.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    All I have is a maverick and all it does is tell me meat and grid temp. Just did a butt the other day and it was the best one yet.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH