Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this essentially the reverse sear? (Keens Steakhouse - NYC)

Options

Skip to 1:10 to get the the "meat" of the story.  :)  

** Note that the chef has a yellow Thermapen next to him during the story.  

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Sounds like it.  I wonder how much difference it makes to wait until after getting it up around 100F to salt/season the outside?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is a version of the reverse sear. I've eaten here several times and will be going back in 3 weeks. It's pretty good but a really cool place. Very old school steakhouse. I work down there a few times a year and we go get hammered and eat steaks there when I'm in town. It's like 1920 inside that joint. think it's been there for that long or more.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'll be in New York the last week of June.  I plan on visiting.
  • BeerIAm
    BeerIAm Posts: 21
    Options
    Definitely a cool place to go if ever in NYC.  Gotta love all the history and old pipes hanging in the ceiling.  Everybody I go with seems to also like the mutton but that's not for my taste.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    The setting is old school, great, old clay pipes on walls / ceilings.  I have eaten there twice in the past year, both times I ordered the 62? oz prime cut, and I have to say, the texture, visual and taste of the steaks were not what I would consider prime cut, and there was no sear.  It was as if the meat was cooked "sous vide" and not even seared for the texture / taste.  Both times I took a cooking friend, and quite honestly we will not go back, esp @ $65-75 per steak.

I am saying this because I ate there after working as a contractor in the place many years ago...and the steaks were great, can't remember reverse sear tho.   Sorry to say this about a place with such an historic origin.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)