Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on using wood chips

I have another newbie questions for all the experts out there.  I have been trying to use wood chips like cherry, hickory, or apple to provide flavor to the meats I am smoking on the egg but I don't seem to have any of those flavors in the meat when they are done.  I was wondering do most people use wood chips or chucks when trying to add flavor to their meats they are smoking?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If I am doin big meats like butt or brisket I use chunks, for chicken or fish I use chips.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I jsu throw a few handful of chips just before the meat, chunks for longer cooks.
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    Thanks for the quick replies.  I see where I am when wrong now.  This is a learning curve for me coming from a Holland gas grill but I am loving every minute of it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited June 2013
    Chips vs chunks-kinda like Ford vs Chevy-basically you need to get the volume of smoke wood into the lump.  A majority use chunks but I roughly equate a healthy handful of chips to about a chunk (no scientific proof).  I find you can disperse the chips throughout much more of the lump load for an extended duration low&slow smoke-experiment and remember the chip/chunk has to be in contact with the fire for the smoke to happen. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    IMO the quality of the wood matters much more than chips or chunks. I was getting little or no or even bad flavors from the wood I was buying from Lowes or Walmart. Then I ordered from hawgeyesbbq.com and notice a HUGE difference in flavor.
  • freedog74
    @lousubcap- thanks for the information.  I was putting the chips in a little early according to the post by Rickard Fl so I need to wait a little longer before putting the chips in the BGE.  I will try what he recommended tomorrow when i do a chicken.
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2013
    @freedog74-poultry can take smoke quite quickly so I would go a little on the light side and remember the flavor for the next cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • freedog74
    @Boileregger - thanks for that information as well.
  • freedog74
    @lousubcap- do you think cherry or apple would be too much for chicken if you put a small hand full in the lump?
  • lousubcap
    I'm all for cherry with poultry-gotta love the dark reddish color of the skin - you should be fine with a handful.  Enjoy-