Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

putting plate setter or pizza stone in hot BGE

Question (1): Can I put a room temperature PS or pizza stone in a hot 600 degree BGE without breaking it?

Question (2): I want to sear a steak at 550 and then drop temperature to finish it. I think I've read here about letting it rest after searing. Am I correct that some take the steak out of the grill after it is seared until the temperature drops and then put it back in again? (I'm a little worried temperature might not drop quick enough if I leave the steak on and 500-550 might be too hot to finish a steak.)

Thanks

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

Comments

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    #1) I wouldn't

#2)  Easier and quicker to do a reverse sear, i.e. the opposite sequence for the steak
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited May 2013
    1.) Yes, it absolutely can break.

2.) Yes, you are talking about the T-rex method which actually calls for a full 20 minutes of rest after the initial sear to let the meat relax and the juices redistribute. Then you put it back on the grill which should have had time to stabiliz back down to around 400 by now (your goal cooking temp)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    That plate setter will crack if you put it on a hot fire, say over 500, mine did.  It made a loud CRACK popping kind of sound when it did. It's still in one piece but it popped loud. I can plainly see the crack too!  Now I will not do that again.  I put the plate setter on after I start the lump, but before the lump gets completely hot, I drop my smoking wood on the fire then immediately drop the plate setter on. Close the lid, give it about 10 minutes to stabilize under a closed lid with 50% open vents, and simply open the lid and drop the chicken, ribs, or whatever meat I'm cookin' on the grid.  Works out well.  I use a BarBQ Party Guru and I watch the temp for about an hour before I walk away.

Ribs never fail to please the crowd, and chicken comes out juicy and nice. Once in a while my chicken has tough skin and I'm still trying to figure out why that happens, but it tastes great!  I'm thinking once in a while the fire gets too hot is the cause of the tough skinned chix,

Best of luck to you!
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    My opinion is that, in answer to your first question, yes it can break, given the existing condition of the ceramic, fractures, moisture content, etc.   Altho... I have not heard of such.  I like the reverse sear ( low/slo then high temp sear at end ) but that's just my taste.

BTW, I have left ceramic stones outdoors, in rain, and haven't had a problem, guess it depends on the condition of the ceramic.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73

There's a lot to learn here!  I'll try both the T-Rex method and the Low/Slow method in the next week or so.  The reason I was asking is because I was going to follow up a 400-500 degree "direct cook" steak with an 400-500 degree "indirect cook" pizza (Plate setter and Pizza stone)  while the egg was still hot. 

I guess I'll either let the egg cool before dropping in the PS,

Or..., cook the pizza first and then take out the hot PS and pizza stone before grilling a steak.

Thanks a lot for the info.  You guys saved me from cracking my new ceramics.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    texbagger said:

Ribs never fail to please the crowd, and chicken comes out juicy and nice. Once in a while my chicken has tough skin and I'm still trying to figure out why that happens, but it tastes great!  I'm thinking once in a while the fire gets too hot is the cause of the tough skinned chix,

Best of luck to you!
    @Texbagger... those may be free range chickens that have the tougher skin. Life's a little tougher on the range and they adapt by developing a thicker skin.  :))

Seriously though, could it be that your not getting the birds dried off enough before putting them on. Wet skin will cause the skin to steam and that could be what your getting that seems like tough skin.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Never put a cold stone in a very hot Egg.  It is a recipe for disaster.  I use 2" thick fire bricks for my pizza these days.  They are rated at 3000 degrees and you won't crack those puppies.  BTW, I can get about 15 bricks for the price of a stone.  the bricks in the pic are 2 x 4 x 8 and cost me $1.70 each.  I also have some 1 x 4 x 8 that I use for some of my indirects.  My PS has a major crack in it after 4 years and It has been retired.  Second pic is my setup for ribs.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • texbagger

Best of luck to you!
    @Texbagger... those may be free range chickens that have the tougher skin. Life's a little tougher on the range and they adapt by developing a thicker skin.  :))

Seriously though, could it be that your not getting the birds dried off enough before putting them on. Wet skin will cause the skin to steam and that could be what your getting that seems like tough skin.

• texbagger
    edited May 2013
    @ TexanOfTheNorth It may be very possible I'm not letting the skin dry properly. After I put on the rub they don't quite seem wet though.  Thanks, and I'm assuming you dry these in the refrigerator.  I will experiment a little more with that drying technique next time I throw in yard-bird on the BGE.  Thank you!