Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
This was dinner on Memorial Day itself, I also cooked Pimiento Cheeseburgers and ribs on the egg over the weekend, but this was the clear winner. Marinated for about 2 hours in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, several fresh thyme sprigs, lots of chopped rosemary, about eight sliced garlic cloves, and salt and pepper. Cooked indirect at 330-350 (should have cleaned out and added more lump after the ribs, user error) until internal temp hit 135, about an hour and a quarter.

No sliced pics, unfortunately.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I have never had lamb. Is it super good? We stick with chiken, beef, or pork.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Wow. I went the direct route at about 400* with a similar marinade. (Funny how you can get the same place in different ways.) I divided mine into the three main muscles because one was much thicker than the other two. The thickest took about 20 minutes. I might try your method next, though, because mine didn't taste very smokey. 

@rholt, you need to trust the source for your lamb. If it's good, it has a subtle, different taste that really benefits from the char of the fire. But you also can get a gamey leg, and most folks don't care for the strong taste. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    @jlsm, that is funny how you can do similar dishes so many different ways. The uneven muscles worked to my advantage; the thinner parts got a little closer to medium, which keeps the wife and daughter happy.

@rholt, I agree with @jlsm about lamb. If you've never had it get it from a butcher you really trust, because if you do get a gamey piece, you'll probably not like it, and not like it forever.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    I've had great results with the de-boned leg of lamb at Costco.From New Zealand IIRC.
    Mamaroneck
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've never gotten a leg of lamb from Sam;'s that I didn't like, FWIW.  I stuff it will spinach, pine nuts and feta, tie it up with string, coat with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and cook to around 140.  Sweet.

The Naked Whiz