Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt and brisket this upcoming weekend - Help

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
We are having a party for my daughters dance recital this Saturday.  I am planning on cooking a pork shoulder(butt) and a brisket starting Friday evening.  I am guessing a 8lb butt and a 10lb brisket.  I am planning on cooking at ~250.  Last time I did a butt at 250 it took ~16 hours to hit 197.  I cooked a 15lb brisket and that took only 12 hours.

Does this sound right?  I need to food done by noon the latest as we have to leave for the recital and no one will be home to pull the cooks off and I am not keeping the Egg gong when I am not home.  This being said I am planning on lighting the Egg at 6 on Friday and putting the pork on at 6:30/7PM on the lower level of the adjustable rig and the brisket on top level at 10:00 PM.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Pork can not go on top as we have someone coming with pork allergies (poor soul).

If the pork is not done by 10 I am planning on foiling and finishing it turbo style - would this be OK for the brisket as well?  If both meats are done by 11/12 I will FTC for 4 hours until we get back home. 

We are also planning some appetizers, egged beans that will go on when we get back from the recital.

Any tips? Will my plan work? 

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you will be cooking hotter on the top grid but I would still put them on at the same time for the sake of ease. I find briskets and butts to cook in around the same time at the same temps. Again they are all different, but as a rule, they are pretty close.

I just kept a brisket warm for 7 hours (yesterday) in a soft sided cooler and it turned out pretty good (so I hear- I didn't get to taste this one).

If it's done early- FTC until the other one is done. Then throw them both in the same cooler, go to the recital and come back and dig in. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I just do not want the Maverick going off at 4:00 AM like last time telling me the brisket is done.  I need some sleep if I will get any as I don't with overnight cooks.

Garnerville, NY
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    better early than late. Unfortunately, sleep is a luxury for those who choose to buy their bbq :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX