Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple more questions and a short story...Long

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well the other day I went to the store thatI had originally seen the large Egg. They had it for a price that i thought was a great deal (599). So, when I got home that day I came here to take a look at everyone's thoughts and such. $599 still seemed like a great deal. This was based on the 899-999 that I was seeing everywhere else. So a couple days later, I went back to the store to finally become an "Egger". [p]The price tag said $599 as before. Then I started talking to the salesman about it. He told me that basically nothing comes for that price. basically it's just an Egg. The Large Egg was 599, the stand 100, the thermometer 21....etc. I was expecting to add to the 599 42.oo for the daisy wheel and a few other gadgets, but after I added everything up it was back to the 800 range.[p]So, as you might imagine my excitment quicky went to disappointed. Needless to say I didn't become an Egger that day. But I am still considering one. I have a few questions though. I realize calling the plant might be quicker, but at last check they haven't returned my call from two months ago about finding "two" crushed pop cans in my new bag of BGE lump (wierd eh?!)[p]Questions:[p]HOw long can you cook without messing with the fire? I'm a stick burner by trade guys/gals, so bare with me. I don't want to have to sit next to the firebox all night and day like I use to. Always fun, but sometimes.....I would like to get some sleep (four hours wpuld be plenty)[p]I'm a little nervous about the water/heat= cracking. I live in a hot climate. When (ha! rarely but it does) I'm cooking and it suddenly rains, should I be worried about cracking?[p]how well do pellets perform in the egg in terms of smoke as apposed to chunks? Everything I've had with them has been fabulous. (can you guess my other choice of cooker?) like I said bare with me.[p]Aside from all the functions that the egg provides (which helps make it great), have you found its capacity to be frustrating?[p]Well, that should do it for now. Thanks for the help! I love using a stick burner, but sometimes in life things actually need to get done "While" the food cooks. And, I love Q'en too much to use the oven.[p]Q'en makes me happy![p]phillip[p]

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    Where are you located?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    webcollage2.jpg
    <p />bbqwizard,[p]My $0.02 regarding your questions:[p]1) That depends. Once you've learned how to build a good even fire and tinker with your air drafting just right, the Egg can hold steady for over 20 hours. But if you really want a good night's sleep, you can invest in a BBQ Guru product (feedback pit temp controller - www.thebbqguru.com) and never have to worry about your temp dropping or rising again.[p]2) I live in Houston and have had pouring rain hammer my hot Egg. No harm no foul. The shell ceramic is very robust and I have never heard of a shell cracking due to temperature gradient effects.[p]3) I think I have heard of people using pellets with success. Chunks or chips are used more often. I wouldn't let this one affect your decision one way or the other.[p]4) Honestly, on a few rare occasions, yes. But that all depends on what type of crowds you are planning to feed. I've seen people fit as many as four butts on one Large Egg (maybe more), and that's over 30 lbs of meat right there. I think what you'll find is that you'll love the Egg so much that you'll end up with more than one - just about everyone does. But if you're looking to do catering for hundreds of people and don't want to spend over $1000 on Eggs, then the Egg may not be the cooker for you.[p]Now, having given my answers to your questions, let me just try to convince you to go ahead and take the plunge. I PROMISE you that you will not regret this purchase in the least respect. The Egg is more than a cooker - it's a community (errr - cult?) of great people (errr - addicts?). You won't find better quality food or people than what the Egg community offers.[p]Here's a link to my Egg site for more info and examples of cooks:[p]http://www.houseoffaulkner.com/BGE.html[p]And for everything you ever wanted to know about ceramic cookers (and maybe some stuff you didn't think you'd ever want to know), check out the Naked Whiz's website:[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm[p]And to read about some BGE folks that are causing a stir on the competition scene, both with their cooking and their homemade rubs, check out the Dizzy Pig:[p]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/[p]I could go on and on and list a hundred more great websites, but this should get you started and hopefully make your decision (to buy) easier.[p]Cheers![p]TRex
  • The Virginian
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    1. Get to a local eggfest if you can, and get a large with plate setter and nest and daisy wheel for about $550 gove or take.
    2. I have done low and slows for up to 25 hours at 210 degrees on one load of lump in the large.
    3. Will not crack in rain.
    4. Get a bbqguru to go along with it (about $130 for the most basic version) and get 8 hours sleep instead of 4. Even without he guru temps are incredibly stable.
    5. I do not know whether pellets would burn long enough in the lump to provide the necessary flavoring. Get some chunks and don't worry about it.
    6. For more capacity get a grid extender or make one, which is pretty easy. It will give you two cooking levels when you need it. I can do 3-4 large butts at one time. On those odd occasions when you are feeding 150, do them in two batches, or fire up the old stickburner for additional room. [p]Brett
    P.S> You can't do pizza and Trex-ed steaks in a pellet cooker as far as I know. Nothing beats the Egg's versatility.

• RocketMan
    Options
    bbqwizard,[p]>>HOw long can you cook without messing with the fire?<<[p]I have a medium and have done several cooks in the area of 20 hours without problems.[p]>>I'm a little nervous about the water/heat= cracking. I live in a hot climate. When (ha! rarely but it does) I'm cooking and it suddenly rains, should I be worried about cracking?<<[p]I'm in the Tampa area - heat and rain are no problem for the Egg! ;-)
    You'll regularly see folks post pics here during the winter while they are cooking on their Eggs with big piles of snow around - if it can take that....[p]- Andy

• GrillMeister
    Options
    TRex,[p]Great Collage of BGE food! Too cool.[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]It's a cool feature in the free "Picasa" photo editing software from Google. Makes you look like you know what you're doing :-)[p]TRex
  • Grillicious
    Options
    TRex,
    Yes, great collage. Is there anything special you did for those mushrooms (middle picture top row), seasoning or marinade? They look great!

• TRex,[p]
    Wow! those are some great pictures you have there. Thanks for the info you've shared. I looked at the Whiz site yesterday-great site. I have always used it for charcoal comparisons. Nature Boy and the guys sure are doing a fine job, both on the circuit and with the business. I like the rubs too.[p]Well, if I can finagle a little with the sales guy this week, I may have one by te end of the week. Thanks again on your toughts.[p]Q'en makes me happy![p]phillip

• egret,[p]
    that would be Las Vegas. You?

• TRex
    Options
    Grillicious,[p]Those are baby 'bellas. I just marinated in Italian salad dressing for half an hour and threw them on direct over a pretty hot fire (500 - 600 dome) and basically kept the lid of the Egg open and shuffled them around until they looked "done" - probably 5 - 10 minutes. [p]Super easy. Super good.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Phillip, hope you're Eggin' with us soon![p]TRex
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    I thought if you lived somewhat nearby it would be worth the effort to drive to our new dealer here in Hiawassee, GA. He's selling the large with metal top, therm., cookbook, VHS tape and S.S. door for $ 549.95. All the accessories are just as reasonable. But, from Las Vegas that would be a stretch! <g>.

• Charles in SC
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    I got my Large at the Florida Eggfest for I think $599 daisey wheel included. No nest.
    I also have a stick burners and an FEC100, etc.
    Well, I love them all! They are all good and all have good and bad points. Yes I have done great steaks,pizzas, deserts and que in all of them. I even learned how to do great smoked cheese in the FEC.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hey Phillip,
    The commentary you are getting is coming from the best. Only thing I would add to the sites is DrBBQ, first class stuff and a first class book. When I purchased my egg I was lucky enough to have a local dealer.and their price for a large was the standard 750. Then with the nest and other stuff, got it up to a grand real quick. I told them that I was pricing them out and they asked me to check with them before I bought with my lowest quote.(the current package comes with the daisy wheel, video tape, ceramic cover and little ceramic feet.) I got a quote from an outfit in Kentucky for 625 that included free shipping. I also had a quote from a company in Rockford that had 10% off on all accessories. To make a long story short I told my local guy that at 11 in the morning and had an assembled large delivered by 1:15 pm. and I am living happily everafter. I still think it would be more fun to get one at a fest. It is a shame the coke cans were crushed, you could have used them in coke can chicken.
    Good luck
    billyg
  • egret,[p]
    Now that is what i thought was included with the 599 that I saw the other day. I mean it was on the nest and had all the attachments on it with "NO" other price tags. I mean come on.....only one price tag and not any others around why shouldn't I think that is was 599?! Oh well....[p]Your're right that is a great price! Wish I lived closer.[p]phillip

• TRex,[p]
    Well, I'm not giving up yet! I'll keep you posted.[p]phillip

• SCalHotRod
    Options
    Damnit TRex! I wasn't hungry before I started reading this thread, but now...!! And my BGE isn't ready to go yet...

:angry:

Fantastic collage though, nicely done!!

:woohoo:

Chris
    Santa Clara, CA
    I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.