Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket #2- some notes on Meyer All Natural Briskets

Options
So I'm doing another Meyer All Natural brisket tonight. As noted, these are the briskets Franklin BBQ uses and his is the best brisket I've ever had. The meat on these is gorgeous but I have to say, I'm disappointed in they way they butcher them. They have gashes all over them and they both had  a huge hard fat cap that had to be trimmed off. This one had a hard fat cap so thick on the bottom that it deformed the brisket when I cut it out. Whole Foods has the price jacked up so high on these that you shouldn't have to pay $6 per lb for beat up briskets loaded with hard fat. I cut almost 3 lbs of hard fat off an 11.5# brisket. Also, you can buy a 10 lb fully cooked brisket for $100 from Franklin (widely considered to be the best brisket in the world)- these are $75 and you have to take your chances that you will do it right. If he's selling them for $100, his cost is $30. Whole Foods is mauling people on these on the back of Franklin's success. Good on them but I won't be buying any more. The brisket I did in Salado was $40 and was in much better shape out of the cryo than these fancy ones. I didn't notice any difference in texture or taste once they were all cooked up. matter of fact, I think the one I did in Salado was better.

This one had a 2" gash right in the side of the flat about 4" up. Normally I would have had to trim that whole part of the flat off wasting even more of this gold plated hunk of meat. Luckily I had some meat glue lying around (who doesn't :) ) so I was able to repair it.

Here are a few pics:

imageimageimageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments