Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Legs: low and slow?

Options
I put on some chicken legs today with my rack of baby back ribs. I am cooking the ribs like I always do... 235f indirect for about 5hrs. Has anyone ever done chicken legs low and slow? I don't know what to expect, so any help is appreciated. I don't know if it was a silly idea to do, but for the $2.50 for six es I thought it was worth a try.
LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I've done legs thighs wings and whole birds. Very good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Harmening
    Harmening Posts: 35
    Options
    The only thing I found with low and slow chicken is that sometimes the skin gets rubbery.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I do low and slow during my competitions. No problems, but I fillet the fat off and end up with bite through shin everytime.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    I do quarters, 230-250, and they always good.   I haven't perfected the rubbery skin, have been thinking of turning it up to 375 and the last third of the cook. 

Good idea RS...  i'll try
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    For the rubbery chicken skin, I read somewhere that if you put your chicken uncovered in the fridge, it will dry out and be crispy when you cook it. I've never tried this, but it might be worth looking into.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Last time I did a spatchcock I threw a 6-pack of legs on the egg alongside it.. I let the legs sit uncovered in the fridge alongside the whole chicken.. cooked them indirect at ~350 for about 80-90 mins and the skin was crispy all around.. I might have wanted to pull the legs off a few minutes earlier than the whole chicken, but I ended up leaving them on and they were a little over-done.. still juicy and crispy though.

Now, 350 isn't exactly low.. so I'd be curious to see how the skin turns out going longer at 250 or so.. I'd still let them sit in the fridge overnight to help them crisp up.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Harmening said:
    The only thing I found with low and slow chicken is that sometimes the skin gets rubbery.

+1    I want my chicken crispy, so i cook it athigh temperatures and high up in the dome.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options

Harmening said:

+1    I want my chicken crispy, so i cook it athigh temperatures and high up in the dome.

Agree I would only put them in there for low and slow if you have an AR so you can get them high in the dome.  Also don't skin them, leave uncovered in the fridge the night before and add 1TSP of corn starch to your rub to bring out the crispness.  Just like wings.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I do not use "corn starch" or leave in the refrig overnight.  I cook at 350 to 375 degrees indirect -- but high up in the dome because the high heat will wrap the interior of the egg and near hit the chicken.  Takes about 45 minutes -- wings or leg quarters...
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Yeah...I use the AR, for high in the dome.  I never have put uncovered in fridge, think I'll try, thanks.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)